Power OR Manual Locks/Window conversion - Dodge Dakota Forum : Custom Dakota Truck Forums

Go Back   Dodge Dakota Forum : Custom Dakota Truck Forums > Dakota Discussion > Body Work Forum
Body Work Forum Shaving, Paint, Bondo. . . talk about it here

CustomDakotas.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2010, 12:21 AM   #1

Name: RustyCoupe
Title: Senior Member
Points: 754, Level: 10 Points: 754, Level: 10 Points: 754, Level: 10
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Power OR Manual Locks/Window conversion

Ok here's the deal, I've got a 2000 dak RC Sport and I'm replacing the damaged Passenger door before I take to the Body shop. I ended up buying another RC door but its a power door. My truck has manual lock/crank doors....

I popped the plug for the door loom out and there was only one wire plug running from the chassis harness into the door. The power door has 2 connectors.....I'm temped to convert it to power doors/windows but after reading several threads and you gotta basically pull the entire interior apart to run the "stock" plug n play harness I dont think its worth it....

UN-less I can just run the power side of the door motor to a power source and ground the other??? and use the switch in between or would I need a relay?

ON THE FLIP SIDE...has anyone ever changed a power door to crank???? The door regulator//locks should just swap over from my door into the new door? I
might have to drill some rivits out to get the window reg. track assembly out or ?
Im dont care if its a hard swap or having to modify it but are the door shells same? they should be identical and the window regulators will swap and simply bolt in?

ANY HELP would be appreciated.

I had a chance to pickup 2 crank doors from a guy on here at carslile. Instead I screwd myself. I shoulda just bought a crank door. :huh: DOHH

http://s113.photobucket.com/home/RustyCoupe215/index
2000 Dakota Sport 3.9, 2" Reflexxion Cowl Induction Hood, STREET SCEENE GEN2 Front Bumper, Shaved Door Handles, Clear corners, Thrush twochamber muffler 2 1/2" duals, Sir Michaels Roll pan, LED Taglite (daily driver)

1934 Plymouth Coupe 454/th400, 10" 3500 stall, 4.10s, Moser axles, Full MSD ignition, 4" drop axle, reverse eye spring, '40 spindles/bones,4-link, Driveshaft loop, M/T Radir Cheater slicks

Last edited by RustyCoupe; 08-08-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2010, 12:39 AM   #2

Name: 93DakspoRT
Title: "MR. Cut & Flip"
Points: 5,021, Level: 30 Points: 5,021, Level: 30 Points: 5,021, Level: 30
Send a message via AIM to 93DakspoRT Send a message via Skype™ to 93DakspoRT
door frames are all identical. you can swap the window regulator and swap basically all your manual internals into it. along with your door panel too lol
ill tell you its a bitch to do but its possible. also you will need to drill out some rivets for sure, just nut and bolt it when you put it back together, make sure not to tighten them too much though.

77 aspen - project
94 Dakota-Dailydriver v6 5 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmopar View Post
this coming from mister cut and flip?
Old 08-08-2010, 12:45 AM   #3

cool I've replaced power window reg. in my girls 01 Silverado and its easy...lol. I took my door panel off today to see if it was possible but I was kinda blown when I realized the power conversion just wasnt gonna happen...LOL>

2000 Dakota Sport 3.9, 2" Reflexxion Cowl Induction Hood, STREET SCEENE GEN2 Front Bumper, Shaved Door Handles, Clear corners, Thrush twochamber muffler 2 1/2" duals, Sir Michaels Roll pan, LED Taglite (daily driver)

1934 Plymouth Coupe 454/th400, 10" 3500 stall, 4.10s, Moser axles, Full MSD ignition, 4" drop axle, reverse eye spring, '40 spindles/bones,4-link, Driveshaft loop, M/T Radir Cheater slicks
Old 08-08-2010, 12:55 AM   #4

Name: 93DakspoRT
Title: "MR. Cut & Flip"
Points: 5,021, Level: 30 Points: 5,021, Level: 30 Points: 5,021, Level: 30
Send a message via AIM to 93DakspoRT Send a message via Skype™ to 93DakspoRT
yeah if you had a whole harness and maybe doin a motor swap or something like that where you gotta change the wiring some, thats the time to do the "power swap" lol otherwise, its def not worth it. plus you cant live without the reliability of the manual windows. one less thing to go wrong.

77 aspen - project
94 Dakota-Dailydriver v6 5 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmopar View Post
this coming from mister cut and flip?
Old 08-10-2010, 10:55 PM   #5

Well I got the swap done. Dodge is definately different. The bearclaw locks were actually totally different. I swapped everything from the crankdoor into the new power door.

The regulator was identical it just had a little power motor on it instead of the crank head.

The latch assembly was not interchange able. The BOLT HOLES were different in the door. I count take the manual lock mechanism and swap it into the power door without re-drilling the door. SO I just bolted the power latch back up and used it as a normal lock cylinder just w/o power.

Everything seems to work just fine and even swapped out my lock cylinder for the key. Went pretty smoothly. Bolted the door up made some minor adjustments to the latch and other than that she opens and closes just like the drivers door. I took pics of it installed and the gaps are perfect. Will take more pics to show how the locks are different for anyone doing a swap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement