Maddening power steering leak - Dodge Dakota Forum : Custom Dakota Truck Forums
I have a Question? Ask and answer questions about anything here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 01-23-2010, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Points: 176, Level: 3 Points: 176, Level: 3 Points: 176, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Maddening power steering leak

My PS started leaking bout a week ago, it looked to be cming from the cooler unit, so, I bought a new one (going to put it in today...I don't see home in the daylight much these days) however, as I crawl around looking at it closer, I'm not sure if thats what the issue is or not. The pump is very hard to see clearly, so, I'm going to have to move a few things to get a better look. have to do it to get the cooler out anyway methinks. How hard is it to swap pumps, if I have to go that route? I hate leaks!! I'm a plumber, by trade, so, leaks get me a bit tense. I will figure it out as I go, I'm sure, just wonered if anyone else has been through this already and has any words of wisdom that might save me some greif. LMAO< my cab and engine bay are the cleanest things on my truck, I have some body work to do now thanks to my daughter and her verminous boyfriend, so, oil slinging around under my hood causes me much uneeded stress. I's a 00 4.7 in a 4x4 Sport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-23-2010, 08:22 AM
Photo Nazi/Post Whore

Points: 4,659, Level: 28 Points: 4,659, Level: 28 Points: 4,659, Level: 28
Send a message via AIM to 94mark3 Send a message via Yahoo to 94mark3
I've noticed that leaks sometimes don't come from where they appear to be coming from, and finding one is a cat and mouse game.

I've never taken a close look at the ps pump in the Dakota. But I know in the z world the high pressure line is what leaks. Or the copper o ring on the banjo bolts.

I would reccomend starting small, before taking pump out. But I'm sure you know that
post #3 of 14 Old 01-23-2010, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Cat and mouse is right. I can see the oil drip best from undrneath. I had my boy get in and turn the wheel while I was looking up at the offending area, and yea, theres a leak. Looks to be coming off the bottom of the cooler, and a cooler only set me back a 20, but, I NEVER get that lucky. I just know I gotta fix it. PS fluid can be tough on things. I had an old Chevy once that leaked the stuff, and it ate up my drivers side front tire. My Dak will NOT be a leaker.

post #4 of 14 Old 01-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Photo Nazi/Post Whore

Do you use ATF or ps fluid?

Definatly just swap the cooler. And clean the area around very good and top off the fluid and see wha happens.

Also, since the cooler is coming off, drain as much fluid as you can and use new fluid
post #5 of 14 Old 01-23-2010, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

I uesed ATF in that old Chevy, come to think of it. The Dak gets actual PS juice.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Admin .. Serious business

Points: 13,912, Level: 51 Points: 13,912, Level: 51 Points: 13,912, Level: 51
Send a message via MSN to Alta Boy
What? A power steering pump oil cooler? I've never heard of such a thing. Does your truck have a cooler for the windshield washer fluid too? lol

But seriously ... Check your pressure line from the pump and also the fittings on that line. What year truck and what size motor?

Pete

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quad Squad Lowlife

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-23-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta Boy View Post
What? A power steering pump oil cooler? I've never heard of such a thing. Does your truck have a cooler for the windshield washer fluid too? lol

But seriously ... Check your pressure line from the pump and also the fittings on that line. What year truck and what size motor?
Tail end of the OP. 00 4.7 Sport 4x4. Yea, an oil cooler for the PS, I know. . I could actually have made a new one, with type K copper and silver solder, I AM a plumber after all. The latter would never leak, and what actual benefit there is to the thing, well, that's a mystery to me as well, but, it came with it. It is my understanding that Mercedes made this engine via Daimler? That would go a ways toward explaining such ...over engineering...of accessory systems. Das is goot ya? Ihave to pull a BUNCH of things out of the way to get a good look at the thing, so, I'm sure I'll track down the culprit, and, if it is the cooler, I have a ready made swap. If I find a leaky line, or fitting, I have all kinds of braided stainless line and fittings on the shelf, so I will bid adieu to any rubber line and hose clamps in favor of something....original...to my shop. I am a bit new to the under hood area of my lil' truck, other than oil swaps and such, but I am feeling adventurous these days and want to start working on the thing with more zeal. LMAO, when it comes to these new outfits, al I can say is God bless Vicodin
post #8 of 14 Old 01-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Photo Nazi/Post Whore

Ps coolers are common with cars that see tracks and long runs. I was going to run one on my z, but opte. To just get rid of the ps all together
post #9 of 14 Old 01-23-2010, 05:44 PM
Admin .. Serious business

Points: 13,912, Level: 51 Points: 13,912, Level: 51 Points: 13,912, Level: 51
Send a message via MSN to Alta Boy
I also own a 2000 Dakota, 4.7, 4x4 as a daily driver but it doesn't have a power steering fluid cooler. lol WTF?? Why would you need to cool your power steering fluid? That whole idea is just far fetched. You have any pics of this thing and the hose routing?

On a side note this might be something for you to check ... On the backside of your pump on the pressure line there should be a electrical sensor plugged into the line directly behind the pump. It's a pressure switch. Pull the plug off to see if there is any oil in the connector. If there is you will need to replace the sensor. It's just a 1/8NPT plug sensor that will screw out. Had to replace it on mine. It doesn't really show any sign of a PS leak because the oil will work it's way back into the wiring harness. That and the oil will wreak havoc on things like your ECU.

I'll work on a windshield washer fluid cooler for ya in my spare time and send you the plans when I'm done BTW.

Pete

Quad Squad Lowlife

post #10 of 14 Old 01-23-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Don't need a washer fluid cooler, but a heater for it would be nice . At the end of it all, I eliminated the little oil cooler. It now resides in my scrap copper pile and the PS return is plugged directly into the res. The new one will sit on my parts shelf for use on some other project or another. My truck is now leak free: The hose routing was a simple in and out, the return came in one side and out to the res on the other. Any cooling of the oil was not going to be noticeable since it was all dependent on air flow, it is not a heat exchange set up of any consequence to be sure, thus, I saw no need to keep it. Just more junk under the hood. I saw that sensor your talking about, on the hard line at the back of the pump. Ya think I should just change that lil' dude aye? What symptoms would it malfunctioning cause? Forgive my ignorance, what is the ECU? I'm new to late model wrench spinning

Last edited by jackdogyodeler; 01-23-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode