Box Tuning Calculator Download - Dodge Dakota Forum : Custom Dakota Truck Forums
Audio and Electrical Car stereos and wiring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 03-10-2010, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Points: 875, Level: 11 Points: 875, Level: 11 Points: 875, Level: 11
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Box Tuning Calculator Download

***When downloading, make sure it is saved with a .exe file extension, or it will not open properly. the 'Open with...' window will pop up otherwise*** (thanks gottahavbass917 and a user from another forum )

EDIT: just been tweaking some small things here and there. mostly things that were pointed out to me (thanks :drinks most recent version is posted up on 4/28

also, should have said this from the get-go (i apologize) but thanks to Razor5070 for the help when i got stuck

FIIIIIINALLY!!!! finally freakin done with this update. only took 4 months lol. got a whole new slew of things. here's a screen shot of what it looks like

sorry for such the large size. it was hard squeezing so much into such a small box. i do realize that on some resolutions the program wont display fully on the screen. but maximizing will fix that until i can figure a better layout or a way to fix it. it should have pretty much any suggestion that was thrown my way that i could find useful. along with a couple last minute changes, like the desired net/gross volume boxes

here's the download link to the program:
Box Tuning Calculator Download
***you'll need the most up to date .net framwork for this program to work. click this link to get it***
.NET Framework

if you're .NET is up to date, and you're still having troubles opening the calculator, check to make sure it downloaded as a .exe file. it should have normally, but for some it may not. rename it with a .exe format and it should work. thanks to pervitizm for finding this solution. he had this problem, renamed it and said it worked from then on out.

For Mac users:
this is a windows based program, so it will not work on macs from a fresh download. you'll need to use either parallels, virtualbox, VMWare fusion, or wine

there's port cut sheets in there, but one thing i did NOT include are cut sheets on how to cut the port if it bends. there's too many different ways to cut the sheets, and the coding to go into that would be too tedious to deal with. maybe at another time down the road. right now i want to get it uploaded and not have something silly holding it back. plus, if you're building a speaker box, i'm sure you can go take some measurements in the box and see what the port should be

i've also included a FAQ/tip sheet with it this time around. so if you get confused with something, click there first. if you're STILL confused, send me a PM with any questions. with that being said, i'm still going to paste all the contents of the FAQ here.

Box Frequency Tuning Calculator - FAQ/Tip Guide

1 - First and foremost, the RE calculator is *not* spot on, and is limited in design, so no, it will not match this calculator.

2 - When doing an oddly shaped box such as a fiberglass box, or you know the volume of a certain box you have in mind
that you want to build, put the net volume in the 'Desired Net Volume' box. This will bypass all dimensions entered
preventing you from having to guess dimensions to get a certain net volume and will allow you to tinker with different
port sizes and tuning. So if you know you want a box with 4 cubic feet of net volume, enter '4' into that box and it
will allow you to adjust tuning accordingly to that specific volume. Keep in mind that any displacement nor port volume
is NOT subtracted from this total.

3 - The 'Desired Gross Volume' box acts much like the Desired Net Volume box, except all displacements are taken into
effect.

4 - If the number of aero ports is greater than 0, then that automatically gets taken into effect and the calculator ignores
the dimensions for slot ports.

5 - The '# of Common Port Walls' box refers to how many sides of the box are going to act as sides of the port.

6 - Port length uses the box wall or baffle(s) as part of the port length. So a port that is 10" long with one baffle using .75"
wood will only need to be 9.25" long as the box wall or baffle(s) will account for the other .75". If using two baffles,
then it would be 8.5" long as the baffle will account for 1.5" of port length.

7 - Port walls are defaulted with a .75" thickness.

8 - Regular square/rectangle boxes do not need any numbers entered into the 'Height 2' or 'Depth 2' boxes.

9 - Pressing 'Enter' will prompt the program to print.

10 - Slot port area range is based on 12-16 square inches of port per cubic foot, while aero ports are based on 9-13 square
inches per cubic foot.

10 - On the cut sheets of boxes with different depths and heights, you'll notice 'H1' or 'D2' next to the measurements.
These represent which dimension is which. Here are two pictures to illustrate:

Box with one height, but two different depths: http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/844...dcutsheet1.png

Box with two heights and two different depths: http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6...dcutsheet2.png

If they do not go in the proper order, the sheet will not come out properly.

*------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*

--Here is the formula the calculator uses (the same on displayed in the program itself):
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/2...ingformula.jpg

--The following are links that illustrate how each ported box is taken into effect in the calculator (sub and port position can be upwards with the same effect):

1 - Port with 0 common walls: http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/6...endentport.jpg

2 - Slot port with 1 common wall: http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9...tomportbox.jpg

3 - Slot port with 2 common walls: http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2017/middleportbox.jpg

4 - Slot port with 3 common walls: http://img246.yfrog.com/img246/6968/slotportbox.jpg

--The images were made with Google Sketchup. Free to use: Google SketchUp

should be 99% debugged (i think). but after staring at the same coding for so long, things are bound to slip by. so IF you do find something that seems out of place, PM me about it please. and only if you're certain about it. i dont want to go check something or explain how it's done several times over because it may be coded a certain way that you may be thinking differently. that'd be too tedious for me to do constantly.

hope you guys like it

Last edited by -Torres-; 08-05-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 03-10-2010, 04:17 AM
"Do What You Do"

Points: 3,180, Level: 23 Points: 3,180, Level: 23 Points: 3,180, Level: 23
damn that thing is sweet. im gonna have to take the time to sit down and read up on this. always wanted to know how to do all the measurements. thanks.
post #3 of 37 Old 03-10-2010, 05:02 AM
CDOM March 2010

Points: 1,139, Level: 13 Points: 1,139, Level: 13 Points: 1,139, Level: 13
Maybe im just a screw up but that program doesnt line up with another one i've been using.

Keith
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 37 Old 03-10-2010, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

lots of others arent as accurate. or they're accurate, but they're limited in design. my old one was that way. if you knew what type of box it was coded for more, then it was spot on. otherwise it was a few tenths to a hz off. the formula is simple really. port length, port area, and net volume are all that's needed. it's just how you get the net volume is the tricky part. i've checked all displacements several times over. say if a box is 20 x 30 x 40, with 2 baffles, the baffle displacement will be different if the sub is up than if the sub is facing forward/backwards. along with port length if the port is also on the baffle side. it'll be shorter for each baffle, which in turn lessens the port volume taken out of the gross volume. i tried to take as many things into effect as possible so i'm confident in it
post #5 of 37 Old 03-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Banned

Points: 7,230, Level: 36 Points: 7,230, Level: 36 Points: 7,230, Level: 36
how do i tune a box that is oddly shaped? i built a box for looks haha, but i have wondered about how to tune it for a while. i know i can get packing p-nuts to find rough volume, but what can i do to make it sound the best possible?
post #6 of 37 Old 03-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Forum Member

Points: 1,385, Level: 14 Points: 1,385, Level: 14 Points: 1,385, Level: 14
i like the way this thing works i think im gonna use it on my next build
post #7 of 37 Old 03-10-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPARVICK View Post
how do i tune a box that is oddly shaped? i built a box for looks haha, but i have wondered about how to tune it for a while. i know i can get packing p-nuts to find rough volume, but what can i do to make it sound the best possible?
you'll either need to build the shell of it and fill it with peanuts, or estimate the volume you want to have the box. on the bottom right, there's 2 white boxes. one for gross volume (before displacement) and one for net (after any displacement). in your case, if you build the shell and use peanuts, put that volume in the desired gross volume box and then tinker with displacements and bracing and ports. that'll take out the proper displacements and account for a properly tuned box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91eflx View Post
i like the way this thing works i think im gonna use it on my next build
thanks
post #8 of 37 Old 03-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Banned

Points: 7,230, Level: 36 Points: 7,230, Level: 36 Points: 7,230, Level: 36
Displacement as far as the space the sub takes up? Its already built, and it has about 2.2ft3 without the sub after foam. The sub takes up about .8 ft3 if i remember correctly... Ive tried to figure this stuff out, but its above my brain waves haha. In the old days we just built boxes that fit the space and aimed the subs at any structure of the car lol. This is the first one ive built in years.
post #9 of 37 Old 03-10-2010, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

yep. speaker, bracing, and port displacement. sub displacement for decent size speakers is about .22 per sub or so
post #10 of 37 Old 03-10-2010, 04:41 PM
CDOM March 2010

Points: 1,139, Level: 13 Points: 1,139, Level: 13 Points: 1,139, Level: 13
Well maybe im just confused...lol the one i was using uses alot less variables.

RE Enclosure Calculator

thats the link.

Keith

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode