Replacing Stock Amp with Aftermarket Amp - Page 2 - Dodge Dakota Forum : Custom Dakota Truck Forums
Audio and Electrical Car stereos and wiring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 33 Old 09-23-2009, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Points: 849, Level: 11 Points: 849, Level: 11 Points: 849, Level: 11
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
k quick question, are the tweeters on their own channel or do they tap off of the 6.5 in the door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 Old 09-23-2009, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Points: 2,004, Level: 18 Points: 2,004, Level: 18 Points: 2,004, Level: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01quadcab View Post
k quick question, are the tweeters on their own channel or do they tap off of the 6.5 in the door.
yes the tweeters are tapped into the 6.5s in their respective door. The rear door on my quad has 6.5s as well, but they are on their own channels. Basically the set up is for four channels, but you can bridge them and make it 3 or even two, i believe.
post #13 of 33 Old 09-23-2009, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbrucie View Post
yea man i havent even found my amp in my truck. i wander where its at...
i dont see why dodge wouldn't have put the amp behind the kickpanels, unless the interior on a 2006 is drasically different. try looking behind the passenger kickpanel, if not there. look behind the driver's. idk why they would put it there, but who knows. let me know what you find

post #14 of 33 Old 10-08-2009, 11:03 PM

Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1
I was curious as to what connectors you had to have to make this work? Do the stock connectors work or did they come with the amp or did you have to use something else. I was wanting something as "plug and play" as possible. Also did you reuse the stock mounting bracket on the new amp or did you mount it some other way? Sorry for all the questions but this mod could definately be a huge benefit for some people not wanting to "go all out". Thanks for any help given.
post #15 of 33 Old 10-09-2009, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune View Post
I was curious as to what connectors you had to have to make this work? Do the stock connectors work or did they come with the amp or did you have to use something else. I was wanting something as "plug and play" as possible. Also did you reuse the stock mounting bracket on the new amp or did you mount it some other way? Sorry for all the questions but this mod could definately be a huge benefit for some people not wanting to "go all out". Thanks for any help given.
Ok I'm gonna try and break each question down seperately so that you don't get confused...

On the stock infinity amp there's two connectors, I believe on does power/ input from the head unit plus constant 12V and the other is for the output to the speakers.
For the Blaupunkt amp (if you DO NOT have the Infinity system), you can buy a wiring harness that plugs into your stock wiring connectors which inturn have connectors that plug into the amp, so that is a direct plug-n-play. Link to list of wiring harnesses: http://www.blaupunkt.com/de/download...ste_250407.pdf

However, they do not make a harness for the dakota owners with infinity system so you have to do some wiring yourself... if you have the original infinity head unit the amp comes with a connector to plug with Cinch input... if you have an aftermarket head unit with direct amp setup there are plug in terminal for your wires.

Sorry to say, but the stock amp brackets are not usable when trying to place the Blaupunkt amp in the stock amp location. Main reason is dimensions (stock:8 1/8" x 5 7/8" x 1 9/16" , Blaupunkt: 11.3" x 6.3" x 1.7"). I had to get my Dad to draw me up a bracket and he has a machinist buddy which machined out the bracket. Made them out of high grade aluminum. But was able to use the original bolts and bolt holes.

I will be doing the same set up on my new 03 Dakota I'm trading my blue 01 Dakota for. It is an Inifinity system setup. If anybody wants me to, I'll gladly post a thread with instructions and photos of the setup to help if anyone is thinking of this setup.

If you have any other questions or conserns don't hesitate to ask me. I actually enjoy electrical work and will gladly help anyone with any problems.

2001 Dakota SLT QC 4x4 4.7L:
3" Catback Magnaflow Exhaust/545RFE Transmission/SUPERCHIP PROG./RhinoLiner Bed/Blaupunkt THA 475/Michelin LTX 265-70R16/KYB Monomax Shocks/Clear Corners/3" PA Body Lift
T-Bar Crank/BFG ATs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 33 Old 10-09-2009, 03:13 PM

Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by burganb View Post
Ok I'm gonna try and break each question down seperately so that you don't get confused...

On the stock infinity amp there's two connectors, I believe on does power/ input from the head unit plus constant 12V and the other is for the output to the speakers.
For the Blaupunkt amp (if you DO NOT have the Infinity system), you can buy a wiring harness that plugs into your stock wiring connectors which inturn have connectors that plug into the amp, so that is a direct plug-n-play. Link to list of wiring harnesses: http://www.blaupunkt.com/de/download...ste_250407.pdf

However, they do not make a harness for the dakota owners with infinity system so you have to do some wiring yourself... if you have the original infinity head unit the amp comes with a connector to plug with Cinch input... if you have an aftermarket head unit with direct amp setup there are plug in terminal for your wires.

Sorry to say, but the stock amp brackets are not usable when trying to place the Blaupunkt amp in the stock amp location. Main reason is dimensions (stock:8 1/8" x 5 7/8" x 1 9/16" , Blaupunkt: 11.3" x 6.3" x 1.7"). I had to get my Dad to draw me up a bracket and he has a machinist buddy which machined out the bracket. Made them out of high grade aluminum. But was able to use the original bolts and bolt holes.

I will be doing the same set up on my new 03 Dakota I'm trading my blue 01 Dakota for. It is an Inifinity system setup. If anybody wants me to, I'll gladly post a thread with instructions and photos of the setup to help if anyone is thinking of this setup.

If you have any other questions or conserns don't hesitate to ask me. I actually enjoy electrical work and will gladly help anyone with any problems.

Heck yeah do a play by play. I do have the infinity system. I was trying to decipher what the plugs were in your pictures and by stock pics of the Bluapunkt amp. So which ones are the input from the deck and which ones are the output speakers wires? It looks to be fairly easy. Thanks for you help on this....oh yeah where did you get yours? They are fast becoming discontinued.

Oh yeah what speakers did you go with? I bought the infinity reference 6022si and they are the most obnoxiously bright speakers I've ever heard! I'm returning them. Thinking of some polk components for the front and polk db coaxials for the rear. I'm going to go listen to some at Best Buy and probably buy on crutchfield.

Last edited by Dune; 10-09-2009 at 03:29 PM.
post #17 of 33 Old 10-09-2009, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh yeah what speakers did you go with? I bought the infinity reference 6022si and they are the most obnoxiously bright speakers I've ever heard! I'm returning them. Thinking of some polk components for the front and polk db coaxials for the rear. I'm going to go listen to some at Best Buy and probably buy on crutchfield.

I'll have to sort through some paperwork to find where I got the amp. It is hard to say what kind of speakers I have up front, they are aftermarket infinitys but I don't think they make them anymore. When I first put the amp in I had a pair of Kicker SSMB6 (mid-bass drivers=small subs), but I blew a voice coil in one of them. So I took those out and I have Polk db651 pair in the rear. Alot of dakota guys say that the db651s (slim version) are the only ones that will fit the door, but this is not true.

3" Catback Magnaflow Exhaust/545RFE Transmission/SUPERCHIP PROG./RhinoLiner Bed/Blaupunkt THA 475/Michelin LTX 265-70R16/KYB Monomax Shocks/Clear Corners/3" PA Body Lift
T-Bar Crank/BFG ATs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 33 Old 10-09-2009, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Heck yeah do a play by play. I do have the infinity system. I was trying to decipher what the plugs were in your pictures and by stock pics of the Bluapunkt amp. So which ones are the input from the deck and which ones are the output speakers wires? It looks to be fairly easy.
Ok the black connectors that you see in the picture are power/ground (labeled: 12V supply, Remote, Ground).

The green ones that you see are input for the speakers (labeled: front right, front left, rear right, rear left... each of those have a + and -)

Finally the last set of connectors which you cannot see in the picture are the output for the speakers, the connectors come with the amp (labeled: front right, front left, rear right, rear left... each of those have a + and -)

T-Bar Crank/BFG ATs

post #19 of 33 Old 10-09-2009, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

DUNE check on Amazon.com got mine off there. Very hard to find that amp though, now that I remember it is very hard to find when I was looking for it. Good luck in your search.

T-Bar Crank/BFG ATs

post #20 of 33 Old 10-11-2009, 09:25 PM

Points: 7,990, Level: 38 Points: 7,990, Level: 38 Points: 7,990, Level: 38
Send a message via AIM to lilbrucie Send a message via MSN to lilbrucie Send a message via Yahoo to lilbrucie
Quote:
Originally Posted by burganb View Post
i dont see why dodge wouldn't have put the amp behind the kickpanels, unless the interior on a 2006 is drasically different. try looking behind the passenger kickpanel, if not there. look behind the driver's. idk why they would put it there, but who knows. let me know what you find
nah man i didnt find it anywhere

Bruce
06 Dak w/ 18 in Cruiser Alloys
Flomaster 40 Exhaust

Someday...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
aftermarket , audio work , replace amp , sound system , stock to aftermarket

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode