Amp install... where to run the amp power through? - Dodge Dakota Forum : Custom Dakota Truck Forums
Audio and Electrical Car stereos and wiring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 10-19-2009, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Amp install... where to run the amp power through?

Ok, so I got a 12" Kicker CVR. And amp and box, im going to strap it down behind the passenger seat.

Right now I need some advice on a few things. Seeing as this is a dakota forum, I can get a lot of help.

Where should I run the amp power cord from the battery? Please be very specific. I know its got to go somewhere through the firewall.

Next, how do I get to the back of the cd player to hook up my converter (my converter goes from all these wires to two RCA plugs.)

Im just going to run all the wires under the trim on the sides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-19-2009, 05:38 PM

Points: 172, Level: 3 Points: 172, Level: 3 Points: 172, Level: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullivan View Post
Ok, so I got a 12" Kicker CVR. And amp and box, im going to strap it down behind the passenger seat.

Right now I need some advice on a few things. Seeing as this is a dakota forum, I can get a lot of help.

Where should I run the amp power cord from the battery? Please be very specific. I know its got to go somewhere through the firewall.

Next, how do I get to the back of the cd player to hook up my converter (my converter goes from all these wires to two RCA plugs.)

Im just going to run all the wires under the trim on the sides.
Ok so i ran my 4 gauge wire from the batt through the inner fender because on the 3 gen there aren't really any pre-made holes to go through so i ran that to the plug where the door wires go into cab. I ran all the wires under the sill pan.(when you open the door on the floor covering carpet edge)

Now RCA. If you have a third gen like i do the black peice around the radio and heater and ect. should just pull strait out. and there should be two 10 or 13 mm bolts holding the Head unit in. Wait is this the stock radio???? Or a pioneer or something. Personal message me and I can send you pics on how i did it, please give me some more info though
post #3 of 18 Old 10-19-2009, 06:37 PM
CDOM March 2009

Points: 5,729, Level: 32 Points: 5,729, Level: 32 Points: 5,729, Level: 32
Send a message via AIM to klintok
best way i found to run wire in just about any vehicle, follow the main harness thru the firewall. there should be a large grommet( gen III its black and about 2.5" in diameter, just to left and below brake booster)
i usually poke a hole and use other wire or usually a coat hanger to pull the wire thru.

by convert do you mean hi-low level converter? are you hooking all this into a stock HU?

ill try to find or get some pics showing how i ran my wire.
also remeber to keep the RCA's and power wires on seperate sides(or far away) from eachother

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Great Proverb

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

post #4 of 18 Old 10-19-2009, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Yes, everything is 100% stock except for the speakers. They are all upgraded.

I bought a hi-low converter from best buy for 28$. I got a experienced friend coming over tomorrow to help install.

But you guys will know more about the DODGE then he does. Hes a chevy guy.

Feed me pictures please we are installing this tomorrow around noon.
Also, what should I do for an AUX? for my ipod, or should i stick to some tape deck?

Last edited by sullivan; 10-19-2009 at 07:00 PM.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-19-2009, 07:18 PM
CDOM March 2009

use a wired FM modulator for an AUX input. imo its the best cheap way while still retaining decent SQ.

now for the converter why not just wire into the rear speaker's wires at the speakers?

Quote:
Great Proverb

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
post #6 of 18 Old 10-19-2009, 07:18 PM

Points: 756, Level: 10 Points: 756, Level: 10 Points: 756, Level: 10
I ran my power wire down the across the engine bay and then down into the frame and brought it up through a hole i made in the floorboard
post #7 of 18 Old 10-19-2009, 07:23 PM
CDOM March 2009

well its too dark to get any new pics but the grommet it pretty ez to find, after that i pulled the plastic trim at the driver's door's floor and ran the wire right there to the back.

Quote:
Great Proverb

post #8 of 18 Old 10-19-2009, 07:24 PM
CDOM March 2009

btw Car Alarm, Car Stereo, Mobile Video, and Cruise Control Info for Installers is a good resource for headunit wiring identification

Quote:
Great Proverb

Last edited by klintok; 10-19-2009 at 07:27 PM.
post #9 of 18 Old 10-19-2009, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Can you link me to a picture or site that has this "wired FM modulator"
post #10 of 18 Old 10-20-2009, 07:27 AM

Points: 172, Level: 3 Points: 172, Level: 3 Points: 172, Level: 3
I would suggest a new HU. It will push the subs better and if you buy it through Sonicelectronix.com they send most mounting hardware and wiring harnesses for free. Pioneer DEH-P4100UB (dehp4100ub) All In-Dash Car Stereo Receivers Car Stereo Receivers and Head Units Car Audio Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix this is the one i have and all the wire colors match so you don't need a diagram.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode