Dodge Dakota Forums banner

How to install sound deadener on doors *Pics*

13K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  917 
#1 ·
Ok guys I sound deadened my doors today and I want to let everyone know how easy it is.
Ok first you will need to order some sounddeadening material.
I used eDead V1SE2
Link:http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_24&products_id=52
I ordered 120 Sq ft of it cause i am gonna do my whole cab soon.

Next you will need
1.Cloth *Microfiber if possible*
2.Somekind of degreaser *I like Greased Lightning BLAST*
3.Sissors
4.Screw Driver
5.Roller *You can buy one at Lowes for cheap*
6.A sunny day to heat up the deadener :)

See less See more
#2 ·
The Victim!!!
1998 Dodge Dakota Sport!

Step 1:
First you will remove the Door Panel, by removing the 4 screws on the door panel and pusing up. I circled
the screws in Green:

You will also need to take the harness off the window switches *if you have power locks and windows*
And the rod that is connected to the door handle.
After removing your door should look something like this:

Stock sound deadener lol:

Step 2:
You will want to clean up all the dust and crap off the door panel with the microfiber rag and degreaser
before you lay down the sound deadener:

Step 3:
Next you will cut pieces of sound deadener to fit on the inside of the door panel. Dont be scared
to cut them to small or to big. If you make it to big just fold the left over deadener on another
area on the door. And if too small you can always cut another piece and lay it on it.

Now you will pull off the wax paper that is covering the sticky sound deadener:

Now make sure the area your going to put the deadener is clean before putting the deadener on.
And lay the deadener on the inner side of the door panel.
Once you get the deadener on the door panel try to push you hand on it to get all the air bubbles out.
Now get the Roller and roll it on top of the deadener to ensure that it is stuck on the metal good.

Now on the creases there will be areas that the deadener will not reach so you will want to used the
sissors to just make a light cut into the top layer of deadener so it will be able to let it flex over
the lower part.

After cutting it lightly just push your fingers against it and it will stick good.

After doing the whole inside with the steps above it should look something like this:

Step 4:
Now you will want to put a layer on the outside of the door panel. All the holes on the door panel
are just access holes. So if you cover up the holes it really doesnt matter. And if you cover up the
wires that are there it really wont matter also.
So First you will want to put deadener over all the solid metal parts and then work your way to the
the open parts:

Do this over the whole door until you get the whole thing cover.*make sure not to cover up the
holes to screw in the door panel and the holes to hold the door panel on*
Your finished product should look like this:

door panel on *you will never know it was there*:

I hope this helps everyone out on doing this!
This will help keep road noise down when driving and if you are into Audio like it will help out on
the sound quality!

PM me if you have any question!

#10 ·
i got dynamat but its like $10 a sqft.but how much was the roller you got porksoda cause i bought a rubber one from the local audio shop and they charged me $20,i thought it was kinda steep but i bought it anyway and i jus curios bout the price you payed.and also i wanted to put my opinoin on the subject and say that i did my whole cab from top to bottom and this stuff makes a night and day difference.even if you only do your doors youll be amazed.so if your willin to spend the money and time do it and you wont regret it.jus follow porksoda's directions and youll see :p

#12 ·
I just got some FatMat and this stuff is awesome. It was way cheaper than Dynamat. Took me about 2 days to do alll 4 doors (inside and out), all 4 pillars, the back wall, and back floor.

Attachments

#14 ·
This stuff is pretty sweet. Used 80 Mil Rattle Trap FatMat. I can definitely tell a difference but have no scientific sound testing devices to prove it :)
Plus it give you a reason to clean the inside of your truk!!!
Ya, i love the stuff i got. Your's looks great! Just a suggestion though, cut those vents out of the back and either weld/rivot/glue a metal place over the hole. I had a lot of vibrations coming from the vents, and now I have none!:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.