Dodge Dakota Forums banner

narrow axle

7K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  AM*E*LL 
#1 ·
i just got a 8.25 out of the junk yard this weekend and i want to shorten it 3"on each side. ive read from other posts that you can flip one axle over to the other side.

now my question is...is the shorter axle exactly 3" shorter than the longer one?

#2 ·
Why don't you just measure it? As far as i know it is exact. If your bringing it to a shop to do it just tell them you want to flip the housing tube. Are you just doing this to save cost? Do you know where your getting it done? the guy who narrowed mine charged only like 25 more than most charge to only cut one side and flip the other. not a bad deal if you ask me.

#4 ·
Why don't you just measure it?
some one at the junk yard, competly stripped the lugs..looks like somone used a chisel to them. so i popped out the c-clip and left the drum, one axle,and wheel at the yard. all i have is the small axle

As far as i know it is exact. If your bringing it to a shop to do it just tell them you want to flip the housing tube.
Are you just doing this to save cost
?
yes

Do you know where your getting it done?\

not yet
the guy who narrowed mine charged only like 25 more than most charge to only cut one side and flip the other. not a bad deal if you ask me.

#7 · (Edited)
I had 6" cut off total. I am looking for some 22x10 billet rims with 5" backspacing for the rear and 20x8 for the front (unless i find a deal i cant pass up). I paid $2580 in parts and labor for my rear axle. Here is a breakdown:

moser axles (left and right) 450 shipped (I over paid)
labor for narrowing the housing 200 (had it done local)
housing (baught a spare to save down time) 250 shipped
detroit lsd 499 shipped
4.10 gears 168 shipped
labor for gear/diff install 250
04 disc brakes free
super install kit 129 shipped
slotted rotors 178 shipped
mag-hytec diff cover 250 shipped
brake pads 56 shipped
150 shipped ss brake lines

#17 ·
well i will not find out untell next year now unless if i find some money soon cause i just blew up my daily driver so i will be having to buy another truck for a daily so the bd will be held off untell next winter cause this winter was suppost to be motor and bd and motor is more important

#18 ·
alright. i know this prolly isn't the best place for it, but i'm not sure where else to post it.

from what i've read the narrowing of the axle allows bigger rims to tuck without hitting the side of the bed. (if i'm wrong please correct me)

well instaed of spending all that money having it narrowed.. what about lookin up some prerunner parts that make the bed wider?
from what i've seen, you cut off the outer skin of the bed and replace it from the bedrails out and down

granted, you'd have to do the front fenders too but that would only help with the tuckage i would assume... its just a thought tho

#23 ·
also the truck is going to look a little weired IMO with the bed sides out a whole bunch , fenders out a whole bunch and then the door is all sunkin in to the truck. right now i have my bed sides flared alot so mine kinda looks like a dully but thats with 18's , anything bigger and you will hit the curved lip on the bed sides.

#24 ·
i wouldn't think the bedsides and fenders would be all that bad gettin them. it would cut down cost alot if you installed them yourself.

but it would look like a prerunner on bags. i think i might just go that route just because its different. lol but o well.. if i can get a square body then i'll be set for when i do major work

#25 ·
So I was just talking to my dads buddy who's going to do my rear end,
He has never done a dodge before but he narrows lots of ford 9" and was just wondering if it was setup the same
I know he could tell by looking at it but I don't have the truck back yet.
Also if I go 3" on each side what size tires can I expect to be running, I have a rt with somee engine work so I would like to be able to get some bigger tires in there
Thanks

#28 ·
If you do 4" per side it will bring the tire closer to the frame. You would have to either do a back half with a narrowed frame, or mount the link on the inside of the frame rail. How big of a tire do you want to do? Here is what 3" per side looks like whit an average 4-link and r/t rims with 275/55/17 tire

#30 ·
Why so wide? There isnt any way tires that big would even fit on a r/t rim, so you just need to watch your offset and since of link bars. you can easily do 3" per side and either run link on inside of frame, smaller link bars with hemi joints, lower offset rims, or narrowed frame to get your desired tire.

#31 ·
I'm not using rt rims I'm probably going to grab a set of 22's for the rear in the adr trench rims I have 20's right now and the 22's are a 9.5 wide rim
With a 30 offset I do believe, but I guess just for street I don't need anything to fancy I can always air up and put slicks on

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.