Dodge Dakota Forums banner

Replacement Engine help!!!

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  melansonc98 
#1 ·
Okay so I wasn't real sure where to post this so I thought I'd try here. I am in desperate need of assistance with finding a new engine for me 1992 3.9. I really would prefer a whole "New" engine but I have no idea were to start. I have looked at several different websites but all the reviews I find for them quite simply scare me to death. If anybody has ANY information that would be greatly appreciated. I have looked into Marshall engines. Wondering of anyone has any experience on them. I have 250k miles on the original 3.9 and I'm hoping to get that many out of my next one! Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. GREATLY!!!!

#2 ·
well a 3.9 remachined will easily last that...any mopar pushrod engine treated right will last a long f-in time
...your block is seasoned and with say a .030 re machine of the bores and crank its actually stronger than when it was new with zero miles

but if you insist on a NEW engine (which is still just a reman aka rebuilt engine) then go with JASPER. its the most used engine replacement manufacturer in the US. and about every shop i ever worked at or near can get them and install. not to mention the come with a warranty

dont forget that your tranny should use a good cleaning and once over also esp if there is 250K on it..because that would be next to go

#4 ·
Any estiamtes on the cost of a rebuild? Not looking for performance at all. All I want is reliability and decent fuel mileage. I love the fuel economy!! The transmission was replaced right at 100k so there is only 150k on it. 5 speed by the way. I'm not insistant on a "new" engine but I am just an amatuer and I don't want to mess things up more than they already are!

#5 ·
a remachine can be anywhere from 2k to 5k depending on shop labor rates and what parts u buy

a jasper 3k+

and way you look at it 2500 and up is a ball park guess (machine work is usually less than a grand but the parts and assembly are what'll drive cost up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.