Dodge Dakota Forums banner

5.2l mopar performance ecu advice?

8K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jwq1992 
#1 · (Edited)
hey guys. i've been been browsing around and i've come across a mopar ecu on summit racing's website, and i was just wondering afew things. how much possible gains could i get with it on a stock setup.? (i havent done anything performance wise, aside from having a 2.5" from cat back, with a cherry bomb 12" muffler.) possible pros and cons if i were to install it.? what would be some decent (and cheapish) support mods for it.?(i plan on putting a mopar style air cleaner ontop of the intake at some point but will run the stock box until i can get one.

would this work decent without a transmission chip (or superchip as some people suggested).? (the reason i ask this is because i have an automatic and i know afew people have said to have one, but i eventually plan on doing a 5 speed swap to a nv3500 or nv4500 so i dont see the point in spending money on a chip when i wont need it for to long.)

i only ever run 93 octane so no need to worry about that, either.

it says on the website that its for the older dakota's, where as mine is a '99, so whats the real difference in application.? would i even be able to run this ecu on my 5.2l.? and if not, could you explain why.? (im unfamiliar with the difference in the years and what can work and what cant, so please forgive my ignorance as im still trying to learn.)

thanks for the help guys.!!

(heres the link for the ecu on summit racing.)Mopar Performance High Performance Computers P5249516 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

See less See more
#2 ·
I personally have that ecu in my dakota.
The unit shown is for the 1st gen magnum dakotas and won't work in your '99
As far as performance increases the aren't signifant as dar as I can rell. Maybe a dyno would show a difference between the stock and performance ECM. The real gain was no Rev limiter.

#3 ·
The ECM you found is only for the 1st gen magnum dakotas. The Real difference between the 1st and 2nd Gen dakotas is than the 1st gen has a single electrical connector where as the second fen has 3 electrical connectors. Performance wise there is no significant gain in power with the performance ECM, at least as f ar as I have noticed, but a dyno may be able see a difference. The real gain was that there is no Rev limiter with the performance ECM.

#4 · (Edited)
thank you for the response.! the limiter was the main reason i was going to be looking further into it, but where as you said its not compatible with my '99 just tells me imma have to dig deeper and find something else.:p. thanks for the help my friend and i much appreciate it.!

so since this particular one wont work with my truck, does anyone have any suggestions (and links would be great.!!) on any ecm/pcm for my truck.? particularly one that will not get reset after a while of use. (the only reason i say this is because i've heard of people using a chip/computer and after a while the truck figures out how to bypass it and reset it to a factory tune...)

#5 ·
As stated before, this unit only works on the older daks. For newer ones use a tuner. Hypertech, Superchips and others offer them for your truck. The great benefit of the Mopar pcm is that it can adapt to changes you make to the truck. On my 95, I have the Mopar open air cleaner with a 3 1/2" tall K&N filter, throttle body spacer (mainly to elevate the air cleaner into the air path from my cowl hood), street fire ignition, msd coil, stainless shorty headers, cat removed, and single to double exhaust. The Mopar unit removes the top speed limiter, raises rev limiter to 6,000, and kills a/c compressor at WOT. but it does require 93 octane fuel.

#6 ·
thank you for the help bud.! i'll look into one of those brands and see what i can find. love the sound of your setup by the way.! i havent done anything to my truck because i've only had it since last may, and we mainly spent the few months before winter set in doing body work.:p i figured the best place to start would be the brains of it all.:p (meaning the computer.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.