Dodge Dakota Forums banner

99 5.2 4x4 auto to 5.2 4x4 5 speed swap(help!!)

4K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  jwq1992 
#1 · (Edited)
okay guys, i've been thinking about it for a while and i'd really like to put a 5 speed in my kota. i suggested it to my father and we went to the local junk yard and we found 2 possible parts vehicles.

one vehicle was a 96' dakota, 5.2l with the 4x4, and the other was an 01' ram with the 5.2l and 4x4 as well. we both know that its the nv3500 trans in both of them.
(we are aware of the different shift tower positions for both, but i have to cut the floor anyway and found a 99 3.9 2wd to get the petals, shifter and gauge cluster. we also are aware of needing a different drive shaft to the rear, but there is a shop just 10 miles away from us that my dad had used many many years ago.)

what we are wondering is, what all would we need in order to do this swap successfully. we're almost certain that everything drivetrain wise would work on my 99 dakota, but if someone were to happen to get to it before us, and had to resort to the 96, would the transfer case still be the same.? we also know that i'd have to get a new flywheel, but what about electric wise.? (meaning what would i have to pull off of what vehicle in order to do this right.)

if need be, would we be able to get ANY part from EITHER vehicle (mixed between the two is what i mean.) and would there be any other usable parts off of the 99 2wd other then the shifter and pedals.? (we're not to concerned about wether i have an automatic gauge cluster or manual, because that doesn't effect drive-ability or anything, right.?) im almost certain that the 99 2wd has an nv3500 as well, so would i be able to take the tranny from that, and just find a transfer case to convert it to 4x4, to make it 3 possibilities to pick from.?

much thanks for reading this and any help would be great.!! (i do ask you to be descriptive as well please just so i know exactly what needs to be done, pulled or considered.)

See less See more
#2 ·
okay guys, ive managed to find out that its probably best to take the transmission from the 96' dakota. i've also done a little digging and found out that they used only two transfer case's clear up until 00'. the 231d (which i have) and the 242d. im unsure which one the 96' has, as i didn't pay attention to what the 4x4 system was like on it, whether it had full-time or part-time 4x4, but from what im understanding it doesnt matter which system it has, that my transfer case will bolt right onto the transmission, correct.? so mainly i've narrowed it down to whether or not i need anything electrical. as well as will the master and slave from the 96' work on my 99.? or could i just get it from the 99 2wd one, when i pull the pedal assembly and shifter.? is there anything else i need to worry about getting/doing while doing this swap that im forgetting.? any and all help would be nice.! thanks.!!

#3 ·
anyone have any idea's or input on this.?? do i also need the pcm from the 96' or will mine work.? (and if mine will work, will it need to be flashed or anything.? and if it requires a flash, will that later effect upgrades such as a pcm/chip (i found a jet stage 2 on summit racing that i was very interested in.) is there a possibility that it will throw dummy lights.? or not run right.? i require this information because alot of the info that im looking for isnt being answered.!! (most websites only talk about swapping a manual (and some times to a 5.2l/5.9l) for a 2.5l and 3.9l which talk about flashing pcm's, but i dont know it mine will require that or not.!!) im still not knowledgeable when it comes to this sort of stuff, hence why im here.! any help would be great, and details even better.!! thank you in advance.!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.