Dodge Dakota Forums banner

$40 DIY air intake

31K views 40 replies 20 participants last post by  89dakotafrak 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. I thought I'd make a post about a low-budget air intake. It costs about 35 dollars and took me about half an hour to make along with taking pictures.
Materials
1-6" Piece of 3"O.D. abs plastic tubing ($1)
1-9" Piece of 3"O.D. abs ($1)
1-Flexible 90 degree elbow for 3"O.D. tube ($8)
1-Coupling for 3" tubing ($3)
5-3-5" Worm gear-style hose clamps ($5)
1-Spectre (or other brand, as long as it includes 3 tubing size adapters) conical air filter ($17)
1-1x4" strip of 20 gauge steel ($.50?)
Band Saw
Dremel or Spindle Sander
ABS tubing glue ($2)
Hand-held break

This is how the assembled intake should look. Note that it reuses the factory piece. The longer abs piece should be cut at 9 inches and the shorter piece should be 6 inches. Be sure to glue the straight coupling to the abs.

So there you have it. total price was $37.50 for everything new, and chances are you probably have at least some of this stuff lying around.
I had thought that because I was using 3" tubing coupled to the smaller factory piece, that there would be some resistance to air flow where it decreased in size, but it turned out that the inside diameter of the abs and factory part were the same.

See less See more
#35 ·
That's an interesting thought on doing things in a certain order. I'll definitely have to do some research. I think some sort of shielding would definitely help out a lot, just need to figure out how to do it. Probably 20 gauge steel would work fine so I might try that. I'll put up picks when I do it.

#39 ·
Bump

My 2 cents.

Nicely done, FYI econo filters do flow more air than stock filters and in most cases are close to brand name filter (K&N, AEM, etc...) but sacrifice filtration of smaller particles to accomplish this task, you get what you pay for, and K&N make most of their CAI kits out of PVC plastic, plastic absorbs less heat and therefore the air flowing through the intake remains cooler which is the point of a CAI to begin with, the shiny pipes are actually reducing efficiency of a CAI to a point, on the cheaper units (EBAY anything unbranded and under $100.00) the material is so thin that almost no heat dissipation occurs and the engine bay heat (which can raise to 300 + degrees and hotter) is transferred through conduction directly to the air flowing into your engine. For an economy DYI setup I would give you 5 stars. Personally I run an K&N which I love for sound and power. Only thing I would change is extend piping outside the engine bay, and put a heatshield between the piping and the exhaust manifold on passenger side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.