Overheating, low coolant, bubbles observed - Dodge Dakota Forum : Custom Dakota Truck Forums
General Dakota Discussion Post your general questions regarding Dakotas here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 07-14-2017, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Points: 943, Level: 11 Points: 943, Level: 11 Points: 943, Level: 11
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Overheating, low coolant, bubbles observed

I have a 2002 Quad Cab, 4.7 with 204,000. Twice in the last year it has overheated. Both times adding more coolant solved the immediate issue and I was unable to reproduce the overheating. Here are my observations:

Both times there was a very full overflow tank. I added coolant to the cap on the top hose from the radiator to the engine. I recently replaced the radiator and the fan clutch. There was no sign of coolant on the ground or under carriage.

I had noticed the last few weeks a smell coming from the engine when I parked. Not your typical engine smell but I could not place the smell until this weekend. I believe it was like steaming coolant smell.
more: altis 2017

I borrowed a pressure tester and tested the radiator cap (original cap) and it held pressure at 15 PSI but released at 20 PSI down to 11 PSI. I did a pressure check on a cold engine and it held 15 PSI for two plus minutes.

I warmed up the engine and did another pressure check. It would slowly drop from 15 PSI down to 11 PSI in about two minutes. I must have a small leak that I am guessing hits the exhaust and never drips to the ground.

With the radiator cap off, I start a cold engine and watch the coolant for movement. Once the thermostat opens I see coolant move towards the radiator. It slowly starts to rise up the neck of the radiator neck. Every 20 seconds or so I see 2-3 bubbles.
more: xe tai 1.9 tan

I removed excess coolant from the overflow tank so it reads halfway between full and empty. I read that high level of coolant could be a bad radiator cap, but this one tested good.

I decided to add some cooper stop leak to see if that stops the smell on a hot engine. I might try another pressure test after several cycles of running the truck. I will also watch the level of coolant in the overflow tank and if it rises I will try a new radiator cap.

Could I be missing anything else?
Tags: xe vios 2017

Last edited by adamjohnson; 07-17-2017 at 05:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-19-2017, 03:37 AM
Forum Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Hey, I can ask around as I think somebody on my facebook had this model, maybe they will be more of assistant. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode