Dodge Dakota Forum : Custom Dakota Truck Forums

Dodge Dakota Forum : Custom Dakota Truck Forums (https://www.customdakotas.com/forums/)
-   General Dakota Discussion (https://www.customdakotas.com/forums/general-dakota-discussion/)
-   -   A solution to my/our fuel cell problem (https://www.customdakotas.com/forums/general-dakota-discussion/5824-solution-my-our-fuel-cell-problem.html)

djwolf37 09-04-2008 02:52 AM

A solution to my/our fuel cell problem

SHORT VERSION:
RCI FUEL CELLS SUCK! IF YOU NEED A FUEL CELL GET ONE CUSTOM MADE.

LONG VERSION:
After finding yet another fucking leak on my fuel cell, i finally decided to just scrap my current one and start fresh. I have seen countless issues with RCI fuel cells leaking on the net after some searching due to my issue. After the pages of negative feedback about the quality of these tanks i hope no one else makes the same mistake i did by getting a RCI.

These tanks are very prone to leak at the welds due to the mounting tabs breaking, just regular wear and tare, and from vibration. I first thought it was due to how it was mounted. So i fixed this and remounted it. I got a new leak after that and even after i seal it, it just starts a new leak somewhere else.

A local speed shop referred me to this site: http://www.alumiworx.com/cart/index.php

Looking though there work, and the welds and materials are way BETTER than the P.O.S. RCI does. The material is thicker and welds are cleaner. Also there mounts are made stronger and wont break off like ALL RCI tanks do. There price is also comparable to most manufactures Best of all they make custom cells to your specs. I just finished a sketch of the cell that i will be running. I will be contacting them some time this week and will hopefully have there tank by the end of this month.

Sorry for the long post i am just pissed after having so many problems with a "quality" part that reputational companies (like summit, jegs, and most locals) sell. :mad: At the very least i hope this post will make those of you thinking about getting a RCI cell think twice before you spend the money.

If all goes well maybe this company can also make some for the other members are looking for. I am sure they could even make a stock replacement cell to use your stock pump and keep the tank in the stock location. Just give more clearance, or even be able to run and external high flow pump for those that want some performance.

Alta Boy 09-04-2008 04:47 AM

Not at that point in time with my truck that I have to start thinking about a fuel cell but it's good info to know.

hynge 09-04-2008 04:01 PM

let us know ur specs that ur sending them. im goin to need one soon, i will b bagging the rear this winter!

Bagdkota2000 09-04-2008 08:26 PM

Specs and price would be good, I have a few guys that can build me a fuel cell, just wanna know pricing before I decide who I'm going to go with. Other guys I am considering are at www.motionthree.com, they are local to me so that is always a bonus, but I haven't gotten a price from them yet.

87DakBuilder 09-04-2008 09:44 PM

Nice find Jay, I think my cell is a summit unit, but I'm going to check this weekend, and if it is an RCI, I will more than likely send it back, and pick up something different.

Rooknute 09-04-2008 09:59 PM

Jay are they making it a direct bolt on so we can use our stock sending unit and pump? The only thing holding me back is dealing with all the crap with a new pump and unit...

Dakota07 09-04-2008 10:18 PM

sounds like a group buy is in the works.....

djwolf37 09-04-2008 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooknute (Post 92675)
Jay are they making it a direct bolt on so we can use our stock sending unit and pump? The only thing holding me back is dealing with all the crap with a new pump and unit...

I am not, but any fuel cell can easily adapted to do so. I can go into greater detail if you like. Mounting the fuel cell is harder than adapting it to work with the stock unit. Also i am in the process of designing a way to make it even easier.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 87DakBuilder (Post 92667)
Nice find Jay, I think my cell is a summit unit, but I'm going to check this weekend, and if it is an RCI, I will more than likely send it back, and pick up something different.

I know a easy fix if you have a RCI, just need to find some one that can weld aluminum
Quote:

Originally Posted by hynge (Post 92633)
let us know ur specs that ur sending them. is going to need one soon, i will b bagging the rear this winter!

I will post up my first draft of my cell.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagdkota2000 (Post 92661)
Specs and price would be good, I have a few guys that can build me a fuel cell, just wanna know pricing before I decide who I'm going to go with. Other guys I am considering are at www.motionthree.com, they are local to me so that is always a bonus, but I haven't gotten a price from them yet.

Sweet, if you know of any other site that can build fuel cells let me know.

On a side note if anyone has a stock tank from a 97-04, let me know. I am looking for a part that will make it easier for those of you wanting to use you stock pump in a aftermarket tank.

Rooknute 09-05-2008 08:19 PM

Jay, come up and get the one out of the blue truck. Shit, it even has over a half a tank left in it! lol

djwolf37 09-05-2008 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooknute (Post 92748)
Jay, come up and get the one out of the blue truck. Shit, it even has over a half a tank left in it! lol

Sweet, i will either make a weekend out of it or if ya want you can meet me part way. Does it still have the fuel pump? After i get it i can do some tests and if you provide the fuel cell i can make a mount for the stock pump.