Work - Page 2 - Dodge Dakota Forum : Custom Dakota Truck Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 65 Old 04-17-2008, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Points: 818, Level: 11 Points: 818, Level: 11 Points: 818, Level: 11
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
I still enjoy it, but, it is a job, so there's good and bad...

the pay really ranges... worked in places for $15/hr, worked in places for $30/hr... I have charged out freelance on a set price and found it to work out to as much as $70/hr... sometimes you have to take a job to get experience, but it's the type of career where you will likely always have an ear and an eye out for a better situation... cuz there usually is one

depending where you end up, you may or may not get to use the skills you've learned, or the creativity you have... you have to remember that the bulk of the work, the stuff that pays the bills, is fairly boring stuff... business cards, pamphlets...

worked for a company that did down and dirty promotional certificates/coupons... boring, crank it out stuff, usually with poor quality images... there for 4 months part time, then 11 months full time, then left, then another couple years working maybe 25 Saturdays a year

worked for a direct-mail fundraising company, doing a lot of hospital-related and charity-related materials... envelopes, letters, inserts, welcome packages for donors, high end appeals, presentations to pitch new business, annual reports... a lot of it was conservative (think about it, most people who donate to charities are older and conservative)... was there for 4.5 years, still freelance for them

worked freelanced through a couple agencies, worked in a couple ad firms, usually short term fill-in stuff

one of the agencies placed me at Columbia House, freelanced there 6 months, then hired me full time, and I stayed for 4 more months... much more creative, some cool stuff to work on, I did the music catalogue/magazine that was sent to members, and I redesigned their new member welcome package, and some of the direct advertising... the pay was crap and the commute long, so I left

now I work at a mid size commercial printer... do everything from prepress supplied files, impose files for our various printers, output runs on a high end laser, as well as design... logos, calendars, annual reports, our corporate marketing materials, banners, display signs, pretty much anything print related... personally, I don't do any web really, there's always been enough print to keep me busy

one thing I do find is that mostly, I don't really do much sketch or my own stuff anymore... just not much into coming home to use my relax time to do more of what i do all day... I do the odd favor for friends, like a 'truck of the month' sticker, or maybe some tat ideas... I'd like to find the time to sketch cars a bit again.. but it's just tough to fit it in...

also, have to remember, to be successful, you need to be creative on a deadline, and you need to be creative within the parameter of the job... very few clients will be happy asking for a 2 color simple business card and getting something that needed Photoshop, 19 layers and every filter effect available... may look awesome, but the client wants what they want, and trust me, they usually want it sooner rather than in a couple weeks...

wanna ask me any more, shoot me an email... I'll just say it's a great career, usually get a lot of slack, and if you play your hand right, you won't have to deal direct with many clients... and it is always nice when the pressman comes back with one of the first finished printed piece and you can see what your hours of work created.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 65 Old 04-17-2008, 08:31 PM

Points: 818, Level: 11 Points: 818, Level: 11 Points: 818, Level: 11
oh and my avatar is from the company Christmas card, which I did not design (wasn't my project) but a couple of friends in the studio basically created cartoons of everyone in the company, placed us all in a winter scene, skating or sledding or building snowmen etc...
post #13 of 65 Old 04-18-2008, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Resident Superhero

Points: 9,863, Level: 42 Points: 9,863, Level: 42 Points: 9,863, Level: 42
Send a message via Yahoo to batman13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00dakota View Post
bet dat was a nice pay check man
at the end of yesterday, i had 43 hours, and worked a full 9 today, and i have a full week yet on this pay period, anything over 40 hours a week is time and a half
Its gonna be like winning the lottery!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPARVICK View Post
Lol (btw, batman, i think i peed a little when i clicked that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 65 Old 04-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Gen2 help hotline

Points: 9,536, Level: 42 Points: 9,536, Level: 42 Points: 9,536, Level: 42
shit i know how that is i normally work 40 hrs but since i work second shift i get $1.50 more than first shift guys. also since im finishing my skilled trades program training then i get another raise and also i get double time for working sundays. its great when i can blow it all on the truck too.
post #15 of 65 Old 04-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Whore King

Points: 22,688, Level: 65 Points: 22,688, Level: 65 Points: 22,688, Level: 65
Dam i need a new job lol.I get payed under the table n work mayb 20-25 hours a week.

2000 Club Cab SLT 2wd
2004 Club Cab SLT 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragn94
thats when you just find a hole and make it work lol

|
|
post #16 of 65 Old 04-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Gen2 help hotline

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00dakota View Post
Dam i need a new job lol.I get payed under the table n work mayb 20-25 hours a week.
get a god education and find some thing your good at. like im really good with small blocks so i get all the small block work of high feature engines. ( i went to school for high performace) it help to excel at somthing cuz then your skilled trades and you get paid more.

you still in high school?
post #17 of 65 Old 04-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Whore King

Points: 22,688, Level: 65 Points: 22,688, Level: 65 Points: 22,688, Level: 65
I gradiated(fuck i cant spell,shoulda stayed awake while i was there).N i hate skool so screw goin back to more.I work on cars,i love doin it.Tryed goin to welding skool but welding is more complicated then i had thought.I cant do all that shit with reading plans n blueprints n welding to a certian code,way to confusing.So i figured id stick with autos.I wish there were customs shops in my area,hell county,but theres notta freakin one(that i have seen or hearda).I went to a skool for doin auto body repair while i was in high skool so i have formal training in it n certifications in a bunch of stuff.But i realy like doin suspensions stereos some motor stuff to,but where i work n most normal body shops all ya goin to do is body work n mayb some restoration(where i work we do restos).So i might start job hoping soon lookin for resto shops n small instal shops.

2000 Club Cab SLT 2wd
2004 Club Cab SLT 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragn94
thats when you just find a hole and make it work lol

|
|
post #18 of 65 Old 04-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Gen2 help hotline

thats kool. i was and still am the suspension guy around here and in HS. grew up drag racing so i went to school to build race cars. loved the chassis and motor testing but i fucking hate nascar and that all some of the teachers wanted to talk about was turning left. but i hung out with the teachers that where more into the shit i did...low riders, big blocks, rally, scca. all that led me to GM which so happened to be 5 miles from where i grew up and still live.

i was working in dealerships when i was in college and fucking hated it too repetive and boring. w/e GM kicks ass but i'll always build dodge
post #19 of 65 Old 04-19-2008, 06:15 AM
Random Hero

Points: 13,576, Level: 50 Points: 13,576, Level: 50 Points: 13,576, Level: 50
Send a message via AIM to XxLoFnKtAxX Send a message via Yahoo to XxLoFnKtAxX
i've been doing alot of management stuff so last week i wasnt on the phone very much

LoFnKota

post #20 of 65 Old 04-19-2008, 06:59 AM
Gen2 help hotline

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLoFnKtAxX View Post
i've been doing alot of management stuff so last week i wasnt on the phone very much
i remember over a year ago when i tried to order some toxic shock to replace my blown out belltechs. you guys wouldnt ship them to me in ohio cuz it was not my billing address. the guy on the phone was being a dick too.
...i was in college in ohio and my truck was there with me at my house. but he would only ship them to MI to my parents house where my billing address was lot of use that was gunna do me.

fuck it the local parts store hooked me up with KYB instead..havent ordered nething from you guys since( or attempted to)

if i need shit for stylin ima just ask you from now on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode