Dodge Dakota Forums banner

5.9 quad cab hp boost

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  hwystar 
#1 ·
I have an 01 quad cab that I restored, yep, restored for a daily driver. It has a decent running 360 and an auto. I have already put a cold air intake and exhaust on it and ported and polished the throttle body. I'm not terribly familiar with these engines so I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on where to look for a few more hp without hurting drivability. I have about 2k to blow on it and dont really want to go the header route so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Why don't you want to go with headers I picked up a set of stainless steel one on ebay for less than $70 buck shipped direct bolt on no modifications at all . Hardware included didn't use the header bolts that came with it, got some nice ones from home depot. I felt an improvement. Don't let any talk you into the throttle body space you will not gain anything at all ,you will only notice a gain if you use a carburetor or Tbi set up .with a spacer ,a fully functional hood scoop and set your air intake from your air filter to the hood scoop will give you better power than a cold air intake, good luck

#3 ·
If ur not going to do headers then you might as well not bother with doing anything to increase performance. An engine is really an air pump. It breathes air in and pushes it back out. You get better performance by increasing its ability to do these two things. Making one better without the other is a waste of time. Unless your CIA is actually getting cool outside air then it isn't doing anything. These underhood CAI kits do nothing. If you have MPI then a throttle body spacer is a paperweight. That being said I have one on my truck but it is used to get the air cleaner further up into the hood scoop I have to get it into the incoming airflow better.
If you want better performance then you need headers, a good flowing dual exhaust, if you don't want to do a cam swap then some 1.7 rockers are an easy bolt on and almost as good as a different cam. You polished your throttle body but did you do anything to it increase airflow?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.