Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i'm starting to work on my hood, and well my plan was to make a custom shaker hood.
Now my question is, what happens when it rains? Wouldn't the water get into the air filter and in the engine?
I have never seen a shaker hood w/ much detail. If just glanced at some at car shows.
Not sure if they make one for 2nd gen dakotas but i want to go the custom route.
Any help and even pics will help alot!!
Thanks in advance
Dan

·
Registered
213 Posts
im not sure, but i was wondering the same i got a scoop off a 85 mustang and i want to make it functional but scared about water gettin in the motor since it faces toward the front...

·
Registered
213 Posts
i already got it on i just want to make it functional... its a bolt on for now...

·
Registered
985 Posts
im not positive but i think theres a fiberglass top over them that works like drip cap and the air flows up from under neither that cap. and a lil water in the engine wont hurt it it should acually cool the intake air down and allow for a better a/f mixture.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im not positive but i think theres a fiberglass top over them that works like drip cap and the air flows up from under neither that cap. and a lil water in the engine wont hurt it it should acually cool the intake air down and allow for a better a/f mixture.
:wow: water isn't good for your engine
but i can see some type of flap working

·
Registered
985 Posts
then whats the purpose of water injection?? i know alot of water isnt good im meaning a lil amount of moisture allows the intake air to cool down.

if the drip cap collects most of the water the rest will be moister in the air.

i never ment that there goign to be a puddle of water in the intake.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
then whats the purpose of water injection?? i know alot of water isnt good im meaning a lil amount of moisture allows the intake air to cool down.

if the drip cap collects most of the water the rest will be moister in the air.

i never ment that there goign to be a puddle of water in the intake.
not saying your wrong but IMO water shouldn't get into your engine. You might be 100% right, i'm no engine junky. I can work on them but i'm not a pro at all.

·
Registered
985 Posts
no i agree NO water should get into the engine it self but water i used in the intake to cool the intake air.

you might have noticed on a cooler damp day your engien will make more power.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh i see what you mean.
And about driving it. I got it like 2 weeks ago and only drove it once to my house and it was cold out.
W/ my other truck(2002 Chevy Trailblazer) i have an intake and it seems to run better on cold days, never noticed much difference when its damp out. I'll have to pay more attention.

·
Registered
985 Posts
yeah water injection been out for years they use it to cool the air in the intake.

but anyhow back to the shaker hood.

maybe look at how the 3rd gen shaker hood was done or else a shaker hood from an old challenger or charger. get a good idea waht you will have to do any how

·
Registered
39 Posts
i have a 2004 dakota with a v6 . i was wondering if the shaker hood would work . i realy want one but don't want to spend that much and find out it doesn't work.
can anybody help
thanks frank

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys, im new to the forums, and i was looking at getting the shaker hood for my Dak as well, only question i have is weather or not a hood that is listed for fitting a 97-04 4.7 V8 will fit on a 04 3.7 v6. as far as i can tell the bodys are the same. anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Hey guys, im new to the forums, and i was looking at getting the shaker hood for my Dak as well, only question i have is weather or not a hood that is listed for fitting a 97-04 4.7 V8 will fit on a 04 3.7 v6. as far as i can tell the bodys are the same. anyone know for sure?
Welcome to the site..... No as far as I know of you can not use a shaker hood on your truck.... not cause of the year only cause of the engine. 3.7 and 4.7's have horizontal throttle bodies, and to my knowledge they don't make a shaker to accomodate it. They are made for traditional vertical Throttle bodies and carburetors

·
Registered
244 Posts
Water/meth injection has been around since the 50's and pruduces significant more power (methanol= the stuff you wash your windshired with ) and daily driving you wont force enough water through the shaker hood to effect a V8 engine,
I havent seen one yet for the Gen III but i saw one for the Gen II , but ya if they have a mock shaker one piece non fuctional shaker hood do it up modify it yourself to me "more so functional"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts