Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems the rear of the 4th gen has the axle below the springs versus above like all previous models. So to lower you generally have two choices.

1) Shackle kit = about 2" drop.
2) Axle flip kit = about 5" drop.

Not much in between. But I tried something today that I did way back on my 1992 and 2000 Dakota. I took the bottom most overload leaf off the spring pack, inverted it and reinstalled it on the top of the spring pack. When you clamp it all together, the inverted spring actually preloads the pack slightly and pulls them up about an 1" to 1.5". Combine that with a set of hangars and you have a reasonable 3" to 3.5" drop on the rear.

The interesting thing is the ride is MUCH better unloaded and have less sag when towing or hauling. Seems clamping the overload leaf reduces the initial spring rate for a smoother ride but creates a far more progressive rate when loaded. I have no technical proof of this, just how it feels. See pics below.

With load off springs, remove U-bolts and bolt holding springs together.

Put it all back together with the overload leaf on the top, inverted as such.

Before

After

·
Registered
115 Posts
Seems the rear of the 4th gen has the axle below the springs versus above like all previous models

With load off springs, remove U-bolts and bolt holding springs together.

Put it all back together with the overload leaf on the top, inverted as such.

^^^^cant see that last pic though:(

Was going to do the axle flip but this seems like a better route

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure why it isn't showing any longer and I probably should have taken more pics. Essentially lower the axle and slide out the bottom overload spring. Then raise the axle enough so that the regular spring pack "flattens". Then lay the overload spring on the top of the pack as shown on the pick below then bolt it all back together the same way it came apart.

https://plus.google.com/photos/1162...6008457141964353138&oid=116262573206283522564

1 - 5 of 5 Posts