Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just got a 5.9L from my friends wreck dakota. And I was wondering how easy would it be to swap my old 3.9L out. According to my friend he said that engine will bolt right in only problem my tranny can't handle the power and torque. And what type of tranny does the Dakota R/T use?? And will I also need to do any body lift on the truck?? I have a 2wd truck and was wondering what other things do I have to do. Should I also go back to his place and snag his ECU and the speedo??

·
Whore King
16,796 Posts
Take everything from the 5.9(harness,driveshaft,rear end,and computers)and it should go rite in.I know a friend that went from a 4.7 to a 5.9 and thats what he did and was perfect and relativly easy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take everything from the 5.9(harness,driveshaft,rear end,and computers)and it should go rite in.I know a friend that went from a 4.7 to a 5.9 and thats what he did and was perfect and relativly easy.
did he ran into any motor mount type of problems??

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
The trans in R/T's is the 46RE

To do the swap you'll need the motor and trans, obviously but like 00dakota said, I would grab the Harness, drive shaft and rear end too. If your buddy's truck was an R/T

Unless your 3.9 is a 4x4 you probably have the 8 1/4 rear.....where as the R/T's came with the 9 1/4, which will be alot better.

I'm not sure if your gonna need the harness or driveshaft but I would grab them just incase....the R/T driveshaft is light weight aluminium so it would be better anyway

Also I think 1 of the motor mounts might be different

·
Registered
442 Posts
no, its not. The R/T and the 5.2 were different. You need to get his entire driveline and you will have an easy swap. Those engine harnesses can cost an arm and a leg alone.

·
Registered
49 Posts
dont you need the V8 springs for the front suspension also? With the added weight you just might.
I remember when i ordered my drop kit it came with coils and the guy wanted to know if i had a V6 or V8.
Just a thought you might want to consider.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I Just Finished Swaping My 3.9 For A 5.2 And Ran Into No Problems
And I Kept Everything That Went With The 5.2 Axle Driveshft Harness.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just a curiousity question...what kind of gas mileage would you expect after the swap...not that this is a main consideration when swapping but curious nontheless

·
Bal-LaL-LoP!!!
3,452 Posts
not sure about the 5.2 but I've heard it will bolt up to the 5.9. i think yo just have to change out the gears or adjust them or somethin... when I was considering a swap i had a friend who worked for dodge said something like that.

·
Whore King
16,796 Posts
the gas mileage for the 5.9 is typicly 12=city and 17=highway
Dam wish my 3.9 got that.I c about 15mpg highway n 13 city,just an estimate.

·
Whore King
16,796 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have no idea what my 3.9 does either, tweaked out a little, but a hole the size of a fist dragged through exhaust crosspipe likely doesn't help it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts