Dodge Dakota Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The Gibson sounds okay I suppose.

@DwnDak- You bring up some good points. I do plan on getting one of those chrome air filters without the whole stock "tube snorkel" setup. Along with an active cowl induction hood scoop not sure if that will get it enough air to make sense opening the exhaust up .25"

I decided I am going to drop my cat completely and run everything as straight as possible, less intense bends and such. There are no headers available for pre-92' Dakotas, I'm going to drop my full size spare in place for a doughnut tire so that maybe I can fit the dual out Flowmaster40 directly in the middle. Then my output tailpipes will be the same length; one won't have to stretch all the way over to the drivers side.

I would be afraid of Co2 poisoning with a turn-down under my vehicle, plus I plan on having flamethrowers.

· Registered
834 Posts
They do make headers actually.. I had a set on my 88' 3.9. Long tubes... I don't know about shorty headers for the non-mag LA engines.... However you can use any shorties from a 92 style as well (OBX). From what I understand Magnums have the same exhaust manifold bolt pattern as LA heads, because the floor of Magnum exhaust ports is slightly different than LA exhaust ports, there is a bit of overlap which gives you a bit of anti-reversionary effect when you put them on LA heads.

Also I have a turn down just before the axle... never smelt it yet... reg. cab long box. So you shouldn't worry about that if you wanted a bit of extra grumble from it the lack of tail section will increase the volume a few notches *sound wise*

· Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I can't find any period online, maybe they do not make them anymore. So shorties 92-96 just not long tubes?

Really? I will have to experiment because with no tail(s) I can't do flame throwers. If I have a single to dual out muffler it might defeat the dual purpose/sound effect, I will test them out.

· Registered
834 Posts
I can't find any period online, maybe they do not make them anymore. So shorties 92-96 just not long tubes?

Really? I will have to experiment because with no tail(s) I can't do flame throwers. If I have a single to dual out muffler it might defeat the dual purpose/sound effect, I will test them out.

Like anything for these trucks... (first gen) nothing will be 'easy' to find. Some parts that are fairly rare will cease to exsist likely.. haha...

You can go with long tubes if you WANT too.. but they generally will run UNDER your crossmember.. and if you ever plan to lower the truck a decent amont they will smash on everything like speed bumps... etc... When I had my truck down 3" they were ok... but anything after that... No good... Thats why shorties need to be installed. They are basically the same length as your stock manifolds.

Search OBX.

Also... Flamethrowers.. are for flamers.... Skip that thought..

· Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm probably just going to go with the stock headers that are on there, in a year I will likely have a 318 anyway.

Aw no way come on... there is no way to tell a tailgater to back-off like a melted bumper.

· Registered
834 Posts
Aw no way come on... there is no way to tell a tailgater to back-off like a melted bumper.
Best way to do it is drop to the pavement and throw sparks....... that reminds me of some asshole in a BMW years ago... LOL... He backed off quick!

Only thing flame throwers do is melt and burn your paint and make your rear end look like shit.... !

They are manifolds and somewhat restrictive.. but I agreee... for the *cough power cough* that your getting out of them for $600 bucks... No bother...

· Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Best way to do it is drop to the pavement and throw sparks....... that reminds me of some asshole in a BMW years ago... LOL... He backed off quick!

Only thing flame throwers do is melt and burn your paint and make your rear end look like shit.... !

They are manifolds and somewhat restrictive.. but I agreee... for the *cough power cough* that your getting out of them for $600 bucks... No bother...
Well I'm not doing the bagged thing, I'm going the muscle truck route:

Yeah I was thinking about that side effect (my rear end paint job).

· Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So, I'm second thinking a single in/dual out Flowmaster. Eventually I'm dropping a 318 in so why not just have the exhaust ready, and not waste money on a single in with dual outs that will be scrapped in a year or so anyway?

How different is a V6 muffler from a V8? I planned on running them as straight as possible for the best sound, I've even heard of people cutting holes in their frame etc to maintain a straight pipe all the way back. My theory was drop the exhaust from the headers back, have the fittings welded onto the two pipes that bolt up to the headers. Bypass my cat until the cops give me a problem or getting a sticker becomes a hassle then I'll invest in high-flow cats but do I really need them?

· My pop pop's 91
739 Posts
So, I'm second thinking a single in/dual out Flowmaster. Eventually I'm dropping a 318 in so why not just have the exhaust ready, and not waste money on a single in with dual outs that will be scrapped in a year or so anyway?

How different is a V6 muffler from a V8?

Not different at all, a muffler is a muffler no matter the size of the engine or number of cylinder

I planned on running them as straight as possible for the best sound, I've even heard of people cutting holes in their frame etc to maintain a straight pipe all the way back.

Where did you hear that from? Mandrel bent pipe is the best for exhaust, bends or curves wouldn't matter i think. People who don't get mandrel bent pipe may cut their frame in order to keep the pipe straight, but thats not for sound, that is for performance gains solely.

My theory was drop the exhaust from the headers back, have the fittings welded onto the two pipes that bolt up to the headers. Bypass my cat until the cops give me a problem or getting a sticker becomes a hassle then I'll invest in high-flow cats but do I really need them?

If you have emissions where you live, then get high flow cats, because you will not pass with out them. As far as power, high flow cats may take away as much as 5 hp, but is that really noticeable?
I'm not sure what you are wanting as far as exhaust, but exhaust won't do much unless the intake has been opened up as well.

· Gen2 help hotline
5,658 Posts
mufflers will sound differnt due to scavaging effect from the exhaaust the amount of backpressure created by engine+muffler....think of it like a hose u kink it, it'll restrict/slow flow into kink and push out at high speed. this is too much back pressure

straight or mandrel bent. too hard of turns it not good. you want the exh to be pulled out of the cylinders (scavange) so better exh flow will help the engine and decrease the sound but too high of BP will increase sound and restrict flow..find the fine line stick to a 2.5dia pipe if you plan to go v8 (3.00 is overkill) and a flowmaster super 40 is crap (too much restriction) u want something less chambered or with a tighter glass packing

· Gen2 help hotline
5,658 Posts
ps every flowmaster i have seen in great lakes climate has rotted out within 2years. take your 90$ and buy a stainless magnaflow, borla, spintech, or equivilent..my small magna i have in my bd truck cost 75 and is solid stainless(natural not polished) and it'll last more than 2yr garunteed

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.