Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I tried searching but couldnt find an answer. I was under the truck the other day and noticed that theres two catalytic converters up on the y pipe near each manifold, then a big 3rd cat that is mounted near the transfer case. The aft most cat has no sensors anywhere near it, so my question it, besides not getting a sticker, any cons to just straightpiping this bad boy? :049: I got a 40 series, just worried about lack of backpressure messing anything up. Thanks in advance

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i got dual 2.25" pipes exiting right before the rear wheel and like i said flowmaster 40 series, i should be ok then? If so that sucker's comin out tonight. How does it sound by the way? I see yours is a 5 speed, thats sickkk

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nah its all stock up to the muffler (single in dual out) then about (2) foot and a half long pipes exiting out in front of the rear wheel on the passengers side

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ahh, too little backpressure can burn up valves and be bad for the motor, i guess since i still got the two primary cats on it should be fine

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats what i love about these forums, learn somethin new every day. Thanks for the clarification guys. Tried gettin the cat off last night, the cutoff wheel just didnt fit all he way so im waitin on my buddy to bring his sawzall over, the one tool i dont have. Then its ready to straightpipe that bastard

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
regardless, the cat is now straightpiped... quickest exhaust ive done on the truck, 40 mins start to finish. sounds nastyyyy, got a nice snarl now and just better sounding overall. thanks for the help fellas

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
if you look up under your truck, you'll see the manifolds, then a cat on each side of the motor these have sensors before and aft each cat. leave those unless you wanna throw codes, then follow the pipes down to the y pipe where they both merge into one, then you'll see the 3rd cat its i dunno maybe a foot long 8 inches in diameter. I took a sawzall to the pipe before and after it, right next to that hanger that goes into the transfer case so you can still use it. Then weld in a pipe from autozone in there, its a little louder but the snarl you get out of it it what i like the most. Throttle response was a bit better too dunno why but i aint complainin. as far as a tb spacer, solidstate said it best. waste of money, my buddy has an 00 4.7 I refer to as the guido edition, he thought a tb spacer would make it "super fast", since 01 i believe have a bigger tb, I still blow him out of the water even on 32's vs his 30's. Hope this helps sorry to babble on

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I personally haven't done the research on it but he said pre-01 is smaller than 01 and up, i'd research it but this is what he said to me.

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
i thought they were only 00 and up, jeeps a powertech tho.. weak hah. JJs02Dak, it sounds so much better with out that 3rd cat, had mine off for about 5 months no problems, just gotta do a little fab work to get a straight pipe in there. Has a nice snarl to it now, love it

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
yea that makes sense 00 was the first 4.7s in dak's. my owners manual lists all the motors as magnums (I4, 4.7, 5.9), and my buddy's 4.7 jeep says powertech on top of the motor, theres some sort of difference between them i just forget what

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
glad to hear you like it. you'll find yourself mashin the gas a lot more now

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.