Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Where can I find a 4.7 bare block? I'm looking to start from the ground up and I want to stick with the 4.7. Any ideas?

2. Is the computer from the 5.9 compatable with the computer from the 4.7? What I mean is, will the programable tuner for the 5.9 work with the 4.7?

3. Turbo!!!! Has anyone tried it? I have decided that I am going to try it and I'm looking for info from those brave souls who have tried it already.

4. Going with the air bag suspension. What do people think about it?

4.7. With all of the time and money that I am about to put into my truck, is there anything that you reccomend that will save me time? I am starting on Jan. 5 and will hopefully have it done by the spring, so thanks for any input.

ALSO, for any of you who like to ride dirt bikes or atv's, check out this video I made a while ago of my buddy. http://videos.streetfire.net/video/aef55d03-e784-4ae2-84b9-98860127b72c.htm

·
Whore King
16,796 Posts
Good luck man.Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you.And i doubt the programer from the 5.9 will work for the 4.7 because the 4.7 is Alot different from the rest of the dakota engines

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have the stampede with the 4.7 and i just have intake, full catless dual exhaust, Wide Open throttle body and spacer, and i just tuned with superchips and there is deffinatly noticable pick up and power out of a dig

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
5.9 pcm will not work with the 4.7
bare block could be found at a local junk yard, (I have a complete one for sale)
My dak has a 4.7 and it bagged, one of the main problems is the control arms hitting the headers (if ya have them)
the only thing that will really save you time is getting a 5.9 instead. Finding parts for that will take alot less time.
For the turbo, it is going to be a pain. No one makes a kit for it besides the 6k one on ebay. so that will have to be completely one-off.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have everything you need except the wiring harness. It ran very well...i just never drive it for obvious reasons. I want to get rid of the EFI for a 4 Barrel 360.

·
Registered
9 Posts
6k turbo on ebay is out of control. It's idaho speed shop. Your better off building your own STS or rear turbo for about 2500 total all brand new parts. It consists of a t4 turbo/blow off/waste gate. And a simple programmer and the tubing can all be mandrel bent from any exhaust shop. Go to dakota-durango.com and search STS turbo or rear tgurbo and you'll find all you need to know.Many people have done this build and run 6-9 lbs of boost on stock bottom end.

As far as looking for a stock 4.7, your better off looking for a 360 or even a hemi. The 4.7 is nice because it's all aluminum but other than that, it's hard to get power for your buck. I am going to be selling my 4.7 block pretty soon and it has all the bolt ons minus heads and cam.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you are running any kind of lowered suspension, this kit won't directly bolt on as in the pictures you will notice the tubing goes UNDER the cross-memeber. I only have a 31/2 inch drop in the front and hit a city tity with my crossmember leaving a HUGE dent in it, needless to say, if I had this kit and hit a city tity, I woulda just torn off my tubing for the turbo. I think it's recommended for stock height vehicles. But your still talking about 8grand after your spend another 1600 for the tuner. It's an awesome kit, just a little out of price range. Fully build your motor to make 400 hp on motor for 8 grand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts