Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
How come nobody is answerin this question. I'm new to dakotas, dont got one ya just looking, but I was hopin to find somewhere the pro's and con's of each engine.... anybody got input?

·
'10 Camaro RS/SS
245 Posts
Plenty of mods for the 5.2/5.9 engine since they are essentially the same pushrod style V8. They have plenty of torque, the 5.2 will rev a little quicker but the torque from the 5.9 makes it very desireable.

The 4.7 is the newer style OHC V8 engine, with a good amount of power, but very few aftermarket mods and those that exsist are quite expensive.

Assuming your talking about the 97-04 Dakotas, the only way to get the 5.9 in a Reg Cab or Club Cab is to buy the R/T model. Otherwise you can find a 97-00 Sport with a 5.2. The 4.7 (00-04 Dakotas) replaced the 5.2 halfway through the 00 model year.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Ok, thanks alot I realize to each his own. But I got what i was hoping for, just a nice background on all the motors :).
The 4.7 will genereally keep up with a 5.9, except on the hole shot because of the torque with the 5.9

The 5.9 only comes with a 4 spd auto.......there are conversion kits but they're incredibly expensive

If you want a standard transmission I would pick the 5.2 solely due to the aftermarket support

otherwise I say 5.9 all the way!.... very good in stock form and takes very well to modifications

·
Registered
11 Posts
Awesome, well most definetly looking for an R/T ! unless a nice standard 5.2 comes along. Where do u get the conversion kits from? I been looking in alot of Mopar Muscle Mags and I see alot of standard kits in there for the 318 and 360's but probably mostly to fit muscle cars anywhere special to look for the trucks?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts