Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one know how hard this would be? what all would be involved? has any one done this before? it would be on a 00-03 QC.

·
Admin .. Serious business
2,302 Posts
Probably wouldn't be that hard to do. Swap out the transfer case for a normal tranny tail section and remove the front diff, axles and driveshaft. Might need a different rear driveshaft. If you wanted to bring the truck to a normal height you would have to flip the rear axle over the leafs and then lower the torsion bars on the front. Since there are no front CV joints you could go down lower than what you could if they were still on.

My question though is why would you want to do it?

·
Registered
213 Posts
wats the difference between 4x4 and 4x2?

·
2,302 Posts
A 4x2 has front coil suspension. A 4x4 has torsion bar front suspension. That and all the other stuff like transfer case, front differential, etc.

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably wouldn't be that hard to do. Swap out the transfer case for a normal tranny tail section and remove the front diff, axles and driveshaft. Might need a different rear driveshaft. If you wanted to bring the truck to a normal height you would have to flip the rear axle over the leafs and then lower the torsion bars on the front. Since there are no front CV joints you could go down lower than what you could if they were still on.

My question though is why would you want to do it?
so it would prob be very hard to put springs in instead of the torsion bars?

the reason i want to do it is because i found the perfect new dak...but it is a 4x4 and i dont need/want a 4x4. i also want to bag it so i need to know how hard that would be on a 4x4 (i dont know shit about 4x4s)

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so i guess i should have asked how hard it is to slam a 4x4 with bags, and what is necessary/ different from bagging a 4x2

·
2,302 Posts
Very different simply because of the front suspension setup. Where are you gonna install bags on a torsion bar setup? Not only that but once you start distorting the angles of the CV axle joints, either by lifting or lowering, your going to prematurely wear things out. Namely the CV joints or your splines on the axles. I have a 4x4 Quadcab that's lifted on the front by means of a torsion bar crank and there is a limit as to how high you can go.

I not saying it couldn't be done but it would have to be fabbed up since nobody makes a bonifide lowering kit for a 4x4. It would be an expensive proposition. The front axles come out right where your coils or bags would normally sit.

Hell DJ! You already have a killer looking Dak! Just grab this one and go the other way with it. UP! I did it. I have Sully who's lowered and I have my 4x4 Quadcab which is lifted with 33x12.50's. The best of both worlds brudda!

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I don't think it would be worth it. Too much trouble and cost. If your interested in a club cab, still got mine for sale. I've lowered the price to $6000 obo. www.customdakotas.com/forsale

·
Registered
2 Posts
what about a 4x2 raised? i have already leveled the front end and added 30" bfg mud terrains...would like to raise 2-3" more...alot of extensions i am sure...what needs to be done in this case?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts