Dodge Dakota Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I am completely stumped on whats wrong with my dakota. Ok so here is the run down. It will act fine the it will start surging, cut out, load up and run rich, the exhaust will burn your eyes. I have gave it a full tune up, new exhaust, check the TPS, MAF, IAC, fuel pump, O2 sensors. Everything thing is fine and working properly. Yet it still cuts out and act up. Can anyone help me out. What and I missing? And it is not throwing any code's. Dose it at low speeds between 10 - 40 mph.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
We don't have a MAF...

How did you "check" the TPS, MAP and IAC? There are voltage and resistance tests but they aren't always reliable, like with the IAC.... the only real way to test it is with dealer equipment. Have you checked the cam and cranks sensors? Does this happen only when driving at low speeds or at idle as well?

It could theoretically be any one of those sensors, I would lean more towards the MAP or IAC

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealership has no clue what's going on with it, they check and rechecked everything. Yes it dose it at idle as well. I have replaced and check MAP, IAC, TPS, All O2, Crank, Cam sensors voltage and resistance. I'm just stumped.

·
Dodge Lover
18 Posts
Have you cleaned the intake? Check the wires to your coils that site on each plug, I think the 99 have them too.

EDIT: BTW, if you hook up a code scanner, it will tell you more info, while it is running, even if it doesn't throw a code. It is worth a try.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
The dealership (and most mechanics for that matter) are remarkably useless at diagnosing intermittent problems.

I assume you replaced the cap and rotor when you did your tune up? Have you pulled the plugs and inspected them? It could be only 1 or 2 cylinders acting up... Are you sure you hooked the plug wires back up properly? I know it sounds stupid but it's possible to switch some around and have it run 1/2 way decent

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya cap & rotor where replaced. Wires are good to go. I'm gonna try a different kinda spark plug next week. I just changed the TPS and MPS sensor and it ran great for a day. Then went back to how it was.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts