Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I own a 99 ext cab dakota with a 5.2. I purchased a ground force lowering kit 2/3. The ride sucked and everytime I hit a hole or bump, especially on the freeway, my truck would litteraly slam through the floor board. I removed the kit and insalled lower control arms and to my surprise it raised my truck to stock height. The lower control arms 2 inch . I am very bothered by this. Has anyone lowered their truckn and absolutely love the ride and look. I am open for suggestions. Thanks guys! !violent1

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yeah bro, I have the same truck and I lowered it with a djm 2/4 drop kit. Then the lower control arms broke, so I trashed them and got some belltech springs back on stock lower arms. You have replaced the shocks right? Cause if not it will ride like shit. Plus, you gotta take it easier cause your lower, I learned that real quick. Hope this helped, and if you still don't like the ride- BAG IT!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had a 2/4 drop on mine and thought the ride was good. Springs up front and blocks in the back. I do have the springs for sale if your interested. I had 20s on also with no rubbing. those are for sale also. Later.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm assuming you also changed the bumpstops, right? A smaller bumpstop will give you some extra suspension travel. A nice set of aftermarket shocks would help a little bit as well. But, a static drop simply isn't going to ride great as stock. As said before, the only way to get a quality, smooth ride out of a lowered truck is to airbag it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys, I am looking at the air ride technologies product . The combonation shock/ air bag looks like a great product. Anyone outhere have this installed? !frustrated

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
how long did ya drive it after you installed it, did you give it a couple of days to settle? when i installed my control arms it did the same thing, it just took a couple of days for it to settle. also make sure the springs are placed right in the pocket, they migt not be sitting right (also had this happen to me).

and yes lowering leafs ride better than lowering blocks

·
Registered
227 Posts
Mine rides like shit now, on a 2/3 drop, after I replaced the bumpstops (got rid of the little metal pillar that was there too) and then cut the back it got a little better but I have a lot of bump steer. But as everyone else said, you want a better ride bag it, thats what I'm doing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update

Hey guys I did not realize this post was still alive after two years! lol I purchased lowering lower control arms, and installled lowering springs, the ride was alittle harsh, so I went to pep boys and purchased a set of spring rubber lift perches and cut them in half and reinstalled them under my springs, beleive it or not, its like a night and day difference, my truck almost handles bumps like my factory did, but the lower control arms came with these cheap lower control arm bushings, so I went to napa and purchased both sets of lower for $10 a peice and had to cut two of them to fit in the rear lower and wow, now its like a new ride, sometimes you have to modify, trial, and test, good luck guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts