Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so my question is can a 10" wide rim with the same backspacing as another have different offsets? I looked at a couple of different sites to determine offset, but i keep getting different amounts. And as far as getting a rim to tuck....would is it the more backspacing the better or what? And my last question is....if i had a rim with the right backspacing to tuck, could i use that same backspacing on a rim not as wide and still have that rim tuck?

·
'10 Camaro RS/SS
245 Posts
OK so my question is can a 10" wide rim with the same backspacing as another have different offsets? I looked at a couple of different sites to determine offset, but i keep getting different amounts. And as far as getting a rim to tuck....would is it the more backspacing the better or what? And my last question is....if i had a rim with the right backspacing to tuck, could i use that same backspacing on a rim not as wide and still have that rim tuck?
Backspacing is a measurement derived from the point of offset placement to the back of the rim lip. So I don't believe you can have different offsets on the same width rim and have the backspacing remain constant.

Positive Offset (more backspacing) is usually a must when tucking rims.

A piscture is always worth a thousand words...

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So then if I had a 10" wide rim with a 6 7/8" backspacing (and it tucked), and then i had a 9.5" wide rim with a 7" backspacing would it also tuck? According to those pics it would, but i just want to make sure.

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bump anyone...... Also, can anyone find out the offset of those two rims (10" wide with6 7/8 B/S, and 9.5" wide with 7" B/S) also. I tried, but i keep getting the wrong number.

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TTT.....Someone please help, this is the only thing holding me back from buying a set of rims.

·
'10 Camaro RS/SS
245 Posts
Bump anyone...... Also, can anyone find out the offset of those two rims (10" wide with6 7/8 B/S, and 9.5" wide with 7" B/S) also. I tried, but i keep getting the wrong number.
10" wide rim with 6 7/8" of backspacing should yield a 1 7/8" (47.6mm) positive offset.

9 1/2" wide rim with 7" of backspacing should yield a 2 1/4" (57.2mm) positive offset.

·
'10 Camaro RS/SS
245 Posts
OK thank man......what formula did you use?????
It's simple really, take the 10" wide rim. With zero offset (center line) the backspacing would be 5". To achieve 6 7/8" backspacing the rims mounting surface must move towards the outside of the rim (positive offset) an additional 1 7/8" thus giving you 6 7/8" of backspacing.

Hope that made sense.

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well if thats the case,according to this than neither rim would tuck. and i know someone on here has one of those rims and they tuck. So i just dont get what is wront here.

·
'10 Camaro RS/SS
245 Posts
This is what I came up with using that calculator....

So looks like the 9.5" rim outer lip tucks 16mm more than the 10" wide rim. Are you looking for different information than this?

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i get that, but when i compare the stock 16" rim (8" wide with 25mm offset) to the 10" wide rim with the 47.6mm offset, it says that inner clearance is 47mm less and outer position is 3mm less. If that's right, then there is no way that they will tuck. i would need a lot more than 3mm to clear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts