Dodge Dakota Forum : Custom Dakota Truck Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of one piece aftermarket head lights, and they fit like crap, they were so bad I couldn’t even aim them right. The problem is the aftermarket units are all one piece so there is only two adjusting screws and the mount on the bottom is too thick. Anyhow by the time I cranked the adjusting screw all the way out it has a 1/2' or better gap at the top between the fender and the light and is still pointing to high. Time to try something different, any one had any luck with aftermarket head lights for sec gen Dakota? I like the crystal clear lenses, and LED signals look cool. I might try a two piece set up, what the hell it just money.

·
Registered
815 Posts
1998-2004

So third gen then, not second.

Also, I just did a quick, real quick google search on aftermarket lights for these trucks and I found a few forums that claimed

Stylin Concepts
Sabersport
and apperently disco'd Depo lights are the best fit and finish for aftermarket lighting in regards to one piece.....

Certain ebay ones that have been "no name" type have fit like shit and are cheap as balls....

·
Registered
815 Posts
No.... its third.... thanks for coming out...> Although Dodge uses the bodystyles as "generations". But techincally the bodystyle did get refreshed for the second generation with a new front clip, and different motor options...

To Quote DragN instead of retyping it all...

"87-91 first gen...start of fuel injected and LA block, five lug, and largest engine was a v6

92-96 2nd gens...Magnum engine platform, multiport fuel injection, upgraded OD unit, intro to the 318 V8 as standard option, 6lug and start of ABS brakes by the end of the generation

97-04 3rd gen....body and chassis changed, OBD2 ecu controls, updated emissions like canister purge, ABS brakes, sealed hubs and introduction of the RT with 5.9L v8...towards the end of the Gen chrysler changed base engines...v6=3.7 and v8=4.7

4th and later gens is just body and front chassis changes....coilover front suspension mainly"

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought some of the Sabersport headlights on ebay about 1.5 years ago. I broke one of the adjustment screws trying to get them install right. I pulled the screw right through the hole and made it useless! They were the headlights with 2 beam bulbs and led lights at the bottom. There is an adjustment screw in the back to help getting them installed. I don't remember exactly where it is but there was one on mine. You may have to remove the spike or whatever it has to go in the stock socket. Mine was already removed. I now have the 2 piece clear Euro aftermarket headlights now and they fit like stock. I think the brand was Depo but don't remember if the corners were the same brand. There seems to be many brands when it comes to our headlights but only a few styles of one piece and in IMHO they're all made in the same place in China with different names. I've heard that the newest Depo 1 piece has been improved and may fit decent? There is a way to tell on the Depo's which one it is, weather it's the newer design or the older one but I don't remember off the top of my head. I think most are selling the newer design now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
There may an exception to all of them being the same and the Depo headlights are always called Depo from what I have seen. I've never seen the same style headlight as the Depo called anything but Depo. I could be wrong and haven't checked out the headlights in a while.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I bought a set of one piece aftermarket head lights, and they fit like crap, they were so bad I couldn’t even aim them right. The problem is the aftermarket units are all one piece so there is only two adjusting screws and the mount on the bottom is too thick. Anyhow by the time I cranked the adjusting screw all the way out it has a 1/2' or better gap at the top between the fender and the light and is still pointing to high. Time to try something different, any one had any luck with aftermarket head lights for sec gen Dakota? I like the crystal clear lenses, and LED signals look cool. I might try a two piece set up, what the hell it just money.
like this....mine r led with crystal lights...

·
Registered
698 Posts
No.... its third.... thanks for coming out...> Although Dodge uses the bodystyles as "generations". But techincally the bodystyle did get refreshed for the second generation with a new front clip, and different motor options...

To Quote DragN instead of retyping it all...

"87-91 first gen...start of fuel injected and LA block, five lug, and largest engine was a v6

92-96 2nd gens...Magnum engine platform, multiport fuel injection, upgraded OD unit, intro to the 318 V8 as standard option, 6lug and start of ABS brakes by the end of the generation

97-04 3rd gen....body and chassis changed, OBD2 ecu controls, updated emissions like canister purge, ABS brakes, sealed hubs and introduction of the RT with 5.9L v8...towards the end of the Gen chrysler changed base engines...v6=3.7 and v8=4.7

4th and later gens is just body and front chassis changes....coilover front suspension mainly"

Key word there.....Dodge uses it...so it's still 2nd Gen...

·
Registered
815 Posts
Meh I could argue it all day really... I mean its kind of contradictory really... Dodge goes by bodystyle... But then 87-91 are NOT the same body so techically speaking it would be a third.... anyways.....

One other thing I seen about the Depo lights are that they seems to have discontinued the chrome housing ones and only offered the black ones for a while.... So that might be the problem, if your not looking for black housing ones.... ?

·
Registered
698 Posts
i bought mine off ebay...fit just fine... don't remember the brand... just searched for dakota headlights... i know that once i got the led's they didn't wanna fit right, i had to hardwire them in cuz they would'nt slide back into headlight assembly once u twisted in the sockets. or just plug em in and let the sockets hang behind the bumper... still not a biggie...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a set of one piece aftermarket led car headlights, and they fit like crap, they were so bad I couldn’t even aim them right. The problem is the aftermarket units are all one piece so there is only two adjusting screws and the mount on the bottom is too thick. Anyhow by the time I cranked the adjusting screw all the way out it has a 1/2' or better gap at the top between the fender and the light and is still pointing to high. Time to try something different, any one had any luck with aftermarket led car headlights for sec gen Dakota? I like the crystal clear lenses, and LED signals look cool. I might try a two piece set up, what the hell it just money.
I am considering buying LED car headlights for my ford cars. Do you have any suggestion, where you buy your headlights?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ebay

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lol ive never seen someone so confidently wrong. Just look it up, first gen was introduced in late 1986 as a 1987 model and was produced until 1996, first gen is 1987-1996. Second gen is what i personally own, produced 1997-2004. 3rd gen was produced 2005-2011. No need to get technical, changes made in the first gen as far as motor and injection didnt mean a whole new generation, its still the same body style. Just look it up

1 - 15 of 15 Posts