Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I was wondering if NE1 knew how the slam ES 8" (82) bags would fit on the front and rear of our dakotas (97). Is much cutting needed is it possible. Will the cutting affect the dakota at all? What will need to be cut? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Its almost too much cutting to fit a 72 on the front. Deffinatly affects the frame specialy if your rollin a V8. Rear set ups are different. Over the axle i had problems fitting a 72 but if you were to do like a 2 link (crap) or some sort of bag on the bar you might be able to fit it. Your probably better off going 62 or 72 in front and 72 in back depending on your set up. You have to have at least a 1/2" clearence around the bag at ALL heights. On the front you have to cut out the spring pocket. Look in my gallery and there is a pic in there of my spring pocket with a 62, kaoticdakota has a pic of his also and hes running 72s. Hope that helps, late

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info and help. Ya I have an V8 and alot of weight in the front and alot of HP. I will be 4-linking (triangular) the rear. So from what you said 72's are pushing it as for fitting. Is there anything else I could do to make them fit? Or anything I could do to restablize what I cut out? Thanks again.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Honestly if you wanted to put 72's up front it would be fine. You say that your puttin alot of hp down so im guessing more than stock. I know a few guys w/ r/t's thats said they could feel a lil bit of chassis flex in the front or could tell somehow that it was happening. As for reinforcing it and wat not, doable but i dont know how much you can do with the clearence and the bag fills up most of the spring pocket. Also depends what lower control arms your using? What i said pertained to stock arms. W/ 2" drop arms you could shorten the bottom braket to fit flat with the top of the spring cup thus making the top cup longer so you dont have to cut as much out. You could probably fit 72's on the link bars, the ride is ALOT better with the back on then link bars by the way. Just curios but why do you want to use such a big bag?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was planning on using a bigger bag, because from what I have been told by the air guys is that a bigger bag will give you a better ride, and some more lift. I wanna lay frame with some big wheels so I can use all the extra travel as possible. My truck will also be heavy so I would like to use the bigger bags. I was thinking about getting lower control arms already. I heard brislands were best, but then also heard that they shut down or something. Only oponion on what lower arms to get? I should be good with 72's then all the way around, wouldnt go no bigger? Thanks for the help again.

·
Registered
464 Posts
you'd be more than fine with 62's....i'm layin frame on 20"s right now...bout to B/d on 20"s an 22"s its just alot of cutting that you have to do to get it to lay out with 72 and arms...you loose lots of strength....i've got an EXt with teh 4.7v8. The 72 ride alright but i need shocks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Brislands is gone. Should have ordered them when i was about too but decided to go w/ the stock arms cause they took 2 weeks...... o well. Honestly i dont like any of the aftermarket arms out there. I broke my djm arms and will never buy another product from them cause their customer service guys are dicks. The ride isnt much different from size, more of what shocks if shocks and where the bags located. Honestly unless ur gonna be b/d on 22's you dont really need bigger than a 62. I kinda want 72's on the front cause i have so much rear lift that i wana match but i dont want to risk the integrity of my frame specialy since my trucks a daily driver. There are also wester chassis arms but havent heard much about them. AIM i would stay away from, i think kaotics on them and bent them but that dudes one crazy hoppin mutha! HAHA. 82 bags anrt even used on fullsize trucks often. More on fronts of dualies or wat not. If your lookin for a good ride put good shocks all round and put the bag on the rear link bars. You do that it will ride like a CHAMP!!!!! Especialy if you run es's w/ shocks. Im runnin a es 62 on the front of a 4.7 quad cab. Ride isnt bad at all considering no front shocks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My truckis set up for 72s all the way around, but I am running Contitech equivalents right now. I have a similar set up to what you want, but probably way more exotic than what you are considering. I also have a Wishbone set up (acts similar to a triangulated 4 link) in the rear running Johnny Joints and bags on the trailing arms. The truck isn't back on the road yet though, because I need a place I can finish the teardown and finish work.

Bottom line... there is absolutely no need for 82s in the front or rear. That is of course unless you are planning a motor swao for somthing huge (big block). In the rear if you are going on the axle, skip double convoluted bags altogether. Use a sleeve bag instead. You will achieve more lift and a better ride. If you put the bags on the link bars then run a double convoluted bag.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I totally agree w/RTon20s

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help! RTon20s I am sticking a big block in (750 pds). That is why I was worried about the smaller bag, but as said above since I will have alot of HP I do not to have to cut and take away any strength. Also, I plan on going with parallel 4-link, with pan hard bar in the back to help hookup. Any advice on what is the best setup to help hookup? Where is the best places for the bags? I would like to lay frame and be able to put some big rims for show, and sunday driving. But my first thing is to be able to hookup and have a nice ride. Also any recommened (best) shocks? Thanks again!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quite honestly I think the ES 72 would be a sufficient bag for the front of your big block powered Dakota. The ES bags are quite a bit stiffer than the RS, and should be enough to carry the additional load. Clearing out for the 82s would take SIGNIFICANT work.

In the rear, if you want to run a parallel link, I would go with sleeve bags on top of the axle. To lay, you will have to put in a pretty large notch and bridge. By placing the bags on the axle you will allow more room for that panhard behind the axle. And more room for a fuel cell in the rear, if you are planning on that as well.

The only other thing to consider is exhaust. With this configuration, you may find it tough to take the exhaust all the way out the back. You may have to hold it short with either dumps or side exits, just behind the cab. Just be sure to route your exhaust away from your bags and lines, and vise-versa.

There really are a thousand different ways you could set up your rear suspension with bags. And as long as you use a link, I can almost guarantee they will ride better and hook up better than your leaf springs.

If you need any more specific information, just ask away. There are plenty of us here more than willing to help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts