Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
you 4bangers got soo much room under the hood....bah i hate you all lol

G

·
We have alot of room, but no power :( does any1 know where to get headers. intakes, ect... SOMETHING FOR THE POOR POOR 4?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 4 also but the paying for gas is better then paying for the V8's gas... but there are parts you can buy.. like intake, chips and exhaust, also chips too... I know where to get them... hit me back to find out

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yea, i'd like to know where to get some parts. if u could post a website for those of us with 4bangers. It'd really help us out. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I dont wanna sound pushy or anything, but whats taking so long with that website. I'd really like to check it out. My trucks in need of new mods. PLEASE POST THE SITE!!!!

G

·
I have a 96 4 banger...i have a custom dual exhaust and a intake made out of pvc pipe with a k&n on it...lol It dosent really add that much power but i still can fit a entire cow under the hood..It really sux cuz we have all of this room but nothing to fill it with ... I would like to find a header,chip and a real intake....so please please let us have the website

G

·
hey everyone, I'm visiting from another site, saw the 4 banger board. I've done a lot of searching for upgrades to my 2.5 (hehe, lots of time at work in front of a computer, what else would i do?)

all right, one thing that should be noted before I go on: the 97+ Jeep 2.5l is the same engine as our 2.5l, and the 4.0l l6 is ours plus 2 cylinders on the front, this opens up quite a bit of aftermarket for us.

cams: mopar used to make 3 of em but have discontinued doing so, you can get one from www.cliffordperformance.com (listed for a jeep) or have one ground from krc performance (321-635-8866, talk to marty)

1.6 roller rockers: mopar makes em, listed for the 4.0l but you can buy them in pairs (exhaust/intake), so just buy 4 pairs instead of 6, this requires lifting the valve cover a bit. yella terra also makes them and they are sold on www.quadratec.com, just look for them under the 97+ jeep tj section

62mm TB: you can get a ported TB from a 4.0l jeep (same as dak/jeep 2.5l) off of ebay for $180 and it comes with a spacer (it actually does help), or you can search online, i saw somewhere the other day that offered them up to 66mm. make sure it is a tb with the map sensor on the body, some of the jeeps had theirs mounted on the firewall. with this mod you will probably want to grind out a bit of the intake manifold as the manifold will be almost a half inch smaller in diameter, or 1/4 inch on each side

cold air intake: make your own, it's not too hard

exhaust: if you get the tb and intake, you will probably want this too, i haven't been able to find a complete setup, but a decent muffler on pipes from a muffler shop should do the trick

headers: banks, borla, and pacesetter make them for the jeep 2.5. the pacesetters even include a pipe to go from the header to the cat (not sure if it fits our vehicles). there will be extensive modding needed to make the pacesetter work, the banks look like they are pretty much bolt on

valves: mopar makes backcut valves, if you really want to deal with it

port and polish: use the standard abrasives kit and do it yourself, or pay someone else to do it, either way, it will take quite a while b/c of the cast heads. the valve guide bosses stick way out into the middle of everything, so i trimmed mine down. also, the exhaust tubes go from circle to square to circle again, so i opened those up. there isn't so much port matching involved as the ports on the gasket, head, and manifolds are pretty close to the same size

accel 300+: just an upgraded ignition system for us, i don't know how it compares to anyone else's product, haven't seen anyone with the setup yet

jet stage II/venom 400: i have heard that the jet stage 2 works pretty well for our trucks, but you also have to run premium gas and you can't just turn it off, the venom 400 however has an on/off switch and is only active at WOT, but i have not heard any reviews of the product

then there's the ever popular autolite 3923's (one range cooler) and 180 tstat

i haven't seen anyone do it on a dak, but a few jeep owners have rigged up eaton m45's (2-3 liters of displacement) and m62's (2.5-4 liters of displacement) to their 4 bangers, would probably be kind of expensive to do that when you could just go buy a dak with a v8 in it already...also, it is not even close to easy to put any of the other engines into the daks that came with the 4 banger, it might even be cheaper to sell the truck and buy another one with the v8 or v6

that should be about it, but feel free to keep looking for more and better products, i know i do

hope this helps!

·
Registered
8 Posts
if i may say somthing.....stay away from both the jet and venom you will be very sorry!

·
Registered
26 Posts
i like the artical on the jeep 2.5ltr upgrades. havent gotten any yet. thinking about making an intake. any other suggestions, other then what was on here with the jeep parts?

G

·
I have a 4 banger to. You can modify jeep wrangler a 2.5 liter header to fit the dakota. Its pretty simple. Pace Setter makes one for for the wrangler 2.5 liter. Turbocity.com has 2.5 liter performance parts ment for the wrangler, but will fit perfectly on the dakota.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i just left the www.truckperformance.com website, before i came on here. I was looink at a JET Performance Stage 1 and Stage 2 chip for the 2.5L. They also have things like wires, throttle body spaces, ect. Most parts are for the 6 and 8, but they have alot for the 2.5L . Chips were about 200-250$.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i've got a 2.2 and like it better right now than a V-8. if you want performance parts. look for parts for the k-cars. with little if any modification, you will have some cool performance parts. I hope more people will try the turbo dakota 2.2 swap. a turbo charged 2.2 dakota will push aprox. 250 horses with 310 tourque depending on how you build it. plus gas is better for a 2.2 dak than a 440 (my first pick before I researched turbos) now the 440 is going in my slant six 71 Valiant

·
Registered
1 Posts
ive got one too man

if you really wanted to you could bolt on a turbo to your truck if its a 2.5 liter . you could use a turbo kit fora for ranger some are 2.5s and the manifold will bolt up trhe only other thing i you need to do is forged pistons

1 - 20 of 63 Posts