Dodge Dakota Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I went on a trip to New Brunswick this week, about 1200kms round trip and I brought my Dak. About half way there I got a check engine light, but I didn't notice anything serious so I figured I'd check it out when I got back home. The day after I got back the truck was taking a long time to warm up and in higher RMPs it shuttered a whole lot.. something I had no problems with before. I dug out the Haynes manual and did the ol' on/off/on/off/on thing with the key and got a "12" on the odometer. In the book the code 12 refers to the PCM losing battery power. Would a short in the PCM or anything along those lines cause this to happen? Thanks in advance for any help, it's really appreciated! p.s it's a 97' 3.9magmun
Jerrot

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm not sure, in the manual I have it says the 97 is the only one out of the 97,98,99 that has the key trick and the check engine light will flash corresponding to a code in the book. But my light didn't flash, just the 12 came up on the odometer.. ive checked it a few times and this always happens

·
CDOM April 2009
2,743 Posts
well.. i'm just sayin mine didn't have it.

but the PCM being bad isn't gonna cause your issues... it'll kill the motor, as in... it won't let it run.

i'm gonna guess it maybe needs a tune up, maybe a new thermostat (i had one break and it wouldn't let the truck warm up very much at all for the longest time) and for shits and giggles... the 02 sensors.

also, pull the throttle body and clean that up as well. just spray it down with carb cleaner and clean the sensors there really well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just did a complete tune up maybe two weeks ago.. news plugs, wires, cap/button, cleaned the injectors, cleaned the throttle body. I ordered a TPS that I'm getting tomorrow and maybe thats the cause of the problems.. but just a few minutes ago after I got home from work I noticed a clicking coming from the fuel pump after the truck was shut off. So possibly bad fuel pump? It's also losing a fair bit of power. I'll try and find someone with a scanner tomorrow, see what code I can pull

·
Registered
223 Posts
Start with checking the basics, pull the plugs and check the fire on the plug, get a fuel pressure reading. If those are good check for vacum leaks then compression, if all that is good then its going to be a timing issue wich could be a sensor, wiring, or mechanical failure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no the battery is brand new, i dont think it has anything to do with the pcm anyways.. the key trick seems pretty unreliable. i replace the tps today and that didn't make much difference, but theres now a very lound rattling noise that must be coming from the fuel pump.. so i think i found the cause of my frustration

1 - 11 of 11 Posts