Dodge Dakota Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
92 Dakota 3.9 2wd
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i took the Dakota to get inspected and all was well till they did the brake testing on it....the front are good and on the rear one side did half and the other absolutely nothing (see pik below to comprehend better)

what could it be? i changed the rear shoes, drums, i tightened them, added a new hardware kit, i re-blead the lines, and made sure there was brake fluid passing through....last thing i have to try is the cylinders which i might end up buying tomorrow.

Any advice please help I'm confused :confused:

·
92 Dakota 3.9 2wd
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bad cyl will cause leaking and or that side to no work properly.

I replaced both mine and adjusted the shoes, made a world of a differance.

Btw, does your parking brake work?
yea thats what i found surprising....there are no leaks, parking brake works great, and when you brake in general you feel all four working

·
92 Dakota 3.9 2wd
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
are your drums worn evenly?
the old ones no there was a rusty ring around the inner outer lip so i just decided to replace it. so now i suppose the wear would be even considering everything is brand spanking new.....on another forum i brought up the same subject and they agreed with me on whether it's the little cylinders inside there, which imma change tomorrow

·
92 Dakota 3.9 2wd
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well probably your best bet to replace everything,
yea the cylinders would be the last things i'll replace.....if its not that then idk what it is lol

i'll deff. have some updates tommorow

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
makes sue the little star wheel adjuster is lubed i've had those rust solid and than the brakes go out of adjustment

·
92 Dakota 3.9 2wd
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
makes sue the little star wheel adjuster is lubed i've had those rust solid and than the brakes go out of adjustment
wont them being lubed allow them to move freelee and go out of adjustment?

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
no because when everything is put together properly they only tighten.
just so we are sure we are talking about the same thing. the little piece between the shoes at the 6o'clock position.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Find the problem first. you don't want to just throw parts at it that get expensive. there is also a rear brake Abs solenoid on the frame rail that could make the brakes work fine under normal conditions but make it act up during the test. it may have a bleeder screw as well

·
Registered
346 Posts
Find the problem first. you don't want to just throw parts at it that get expensive. there is also a rear brake Abs solenoid on the frame rail that could make the brakes work fine under normal conditions but make it act up during the test. it may have a bleeder screw as well
OB hit the nail on the head here!

First thing I would do is jack up each side with trans in neutral. Tighten each adjuster while rotating the wheel (there may be a tight spot, plus they can bind) having someone depress the brake pedal every now and again. When the wheel is too hard to move easily, back off the adjuster 4 or 5 clicks. Make sure wheel spins free. Repeat for the other side. Then test.

The adjuster can not back off if all is well. You will notice when you adjust them that they adjust up easy and back off hard. It is do to the machine on the adjuster tab. Rear brakes need adjustment every so often. Less if you regularly use the park break (most models).

Frank

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
im a MD inspector.....why the hell did they not tell you why it failed??

they inspect it, fail your truck....and dont explain why???

·
92 Dakota 3.9 2wd
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The parking brake is cable isn't it? That would allow it to work even though the rear brakes aren't.

If that's the case, in theory, fluid is not activating the cylinder in the drums. Definatly replace them. They're cheap anyway to buy
yea i baught them and will be putting them on in a little while

im a MD inspector.....why the hell did they not tell you why it failed??

they inspect it, fail your truck....and dont explain why???
see i knew someone else saw it like i did, i got locked up 2 weeks ago because of this....i asked the black guy (no offense to my morenos) and he at first looked at me like i'm stupid, then says in his exact words "read the fcuking paper bitch" i was like wow this guy is having a really bad day, either way he shouldn't have acted like that, so enyways i took a look at the paper and left and i saw it didn't specify anything i should visually/manually inspect so i go up to him and ask him "yo can you explain this to me a bit, well as much as you know at least" and then he just flipped out so and pushed me so i went off on him lol

so obviously i did'nt get an explanation but a night in county for battery lol

·
92 Dakota 3.9 2wd
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 39 Posts