Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay guys, I've had my truck for afew months now and im looking into mainly style/cosmetic upgrades and one thing that i've always wanted for a truck (and my truck in particular, considering i've always wanted a dakota since elementary school.) was a cab visor/moonvisor and cab fairing (racerback in particular). Now obviously this was quite some time ago, and as usual, the company no longer makes said items anymore. i've walked countless junkyards in search of of them, but i've never come across any dakotas (atleast no 2g ones) with either of them. and as they grow more and more scarce i've recently been wondering what OTHER truck's i could potentially take them off of, if i find them. obviously the smaller trucks such as the 1g dakotas, rangers, s10's and such are to small for them so im leaning towards the more full sized trucks. im already taking into account the fact that i'll more then likely have to do some moding (cutting,trimming, maybe some fiberglassing as well) to do so, but i was just wondering what all might be the closest fits for them. especially for the the cab visors. (i know with the cab fairing it probably doesnt matter as much, but for the visors it'd have to mount more on the top of the cab, and not the pillar considering we 2g owners dont really have much to mount too) any and all ideas are welcome and considered and thanks for the help.!!

and also, if you or anyone you know happens to have a potential link to a new set for either, please let me know.!! :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
there are no other trucks you could modify the sun/moonvisor from to fit. its not just the size, but also the curve of the roof. I have been in the accessory business for 20 years, and haven't installed a fairing or visor on any truck in over 10 years. they were popular 15-20 years ago.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well thats rather unfortunate to hear. :s. i guess i'll either have to keep my eyes open or go with plan B.:p. (cab lights and bed bars.) appreciate the help none-the-less.!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
okay, so, i've been doing a bit of digging around, and i've managed to find a website that i can buy the cab fairing from, and in new condition as well.!! but, i was just wondering something, i know that madmopar said it couldnt be done, but im almost certain that since most cab visors are made of fiberglass, wouldnt i be able to just sand down to THAT fiberglass, and me able to add on my own.? (whether it be long hair or short or patches/strips.).? and also, i also did a bit of comparing (havent actually measured it to be sure.) but if i were able to find one for a 2000 tahoe, i think i'd be able to use a dermal and trim the curve thats needed (where the top windshield meets the roof curve). and as far as the curve for the roof itself, the tahoe and my dakota seem to be the same curve, and even if they didn't, when i went to mount it, wouldnt the end's just be sunk down as i tightened the fasteners.? i know it'd take some time to do so, but im almost certain that it could be done, but i'd like some input if possible.!! (i know there's quite alot of you who do not like the cab visors, but i will have to say that what you may not like or find tasteful, alot of other people can like it too.! "To each their own" some will say.) Thanks in advance and hope to hear some good input.! (im 100% committed to getting getting these parts.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
okay, so, i've been doing a bit of digging around, and i've managed to find a website that i can buy the cab fairing from, and in new condition as well.!! but, i was just wondering something, i know that madmopar said it couldnt be done, but im almost certain that since most cab visors are made of fiberglass, wouldnt i be able to just sand down to THAT fiberglass, and me able to add on my own.? (whether it be long hair or short or patches/strips.).? and also, i also did a bit of comparing (havent actually measured it to be sure.) but if i were able to find one for a 2000 tahoe, i think i'd be able to use a dermal and trim the curve thats needed (where the top windshield meets the roof curve). and as far as the curve for the roof itself, the tahoe and my dakota seem to be the same curve, and even if they didn't, when i went to mount it, wouldnt the end's just be sunk down as i tightened the fasteners.? i know it'd take some time to do so, but im almost certain that it could be done, but i'd like some input if possible.!! (i know there's quite alot of you who do not like the cab visors, but i will have to say that what you may not like or find tasteful, alot of other people can like it too.! "To each their own" some will say.) Thanks in advance and hope to hear some good input.! (im 100% committed to getting getting these parts.)
I heated for bend and shortened a sun moon visor from a Ford f150 to fit my 00dakota ext cab. Still looking for the racer back myself. Heard I might be able to mod a set from about anything that has same height from bed to cab roof in same way. Use the boat type fiberglass though regular automotive type splits as I learned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts