Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to find aftermarket parts that will fit my dakota. I like what K&N has (Generation-1 FIPK Intake- 1992 Dodge Dakota K&N FIPK Cold Air Intake )

But this is only available on the 92's. So what im trying to get at is: will this fit my truck? and If not are there any other options? and what other cheap/easy mods I can do to improve my performance?

Thanks I apprechiate it..
and yeah Im new.

·
CDOM April 2009
2,743 Posts
gggoooooooo

honestly, advanced or autozone have a filter almost exactly like that for $20

and for the 3.9... look on ebay for "PHab" headers for the 3.9, i love mine and they're not extremely expensive.

BTW, heres what my filter looks like

·
Gen2 help hotline
5,611 Posts
for starters intro yourself on the NOOB section.

and a air cleaner is not a performance mod. the TB is the same location for all dakotas in the early gen family 87-91 &92-96. just depends if the truck was carb or not, if your looking for an "intake" good luck cuz unlesss you got a Magnum engine the 1st gen trucks mostly had a LA block. (what you talking about is a cold air intake, not an actual intake)

easy performance larger TB, port the intake, get better exhaust so not only the engine breather better but also has a better scavenging effect with the exhaust

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the imput. Iam trying to differenciate the 91 and the 92 motors. My 3.9 is supposedly EFI but it has a throttle body design. Not really carbed. I want to purchase the K&N but want to make sure it will work.

And DRAGN94 why is it so important to intro myself on the NooB section? I noticed it before I was going to post this but didnt feel necessary.

·
Gen2 help hotline
5,611 Posts
Thanks for the imput. Iam trying to differenciate the 91 and the 92 motors. My 3.9 is supposedly EFI but it has a throttle body design. Not really carbed. I want to purchase the K&N but want to make sure it will work.

And DRAGN94 why is it so important to intro myself on the NooB section? I noticed it before I was going to post this but didnt feel necessary.
its just common courtesy around here much like a hand shake. due to we get many people that join to try and sell something and thats it nothing else.

·
Member of Team Awsome
1,261 Posts
dont waste 150 bucks on that thing just because it says k&n on it. Get the 20 dollar edelbrock, go to a junk yard and spend 20 on a ford tauris E-fan another 20 on a controller from summit, then take your other 80 to dwight and get him to hog you out a thottle body. Then you have 5 birds killed with one stone and only 10 dollars more

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah. Im not concerned with the provider in any way. I just want to make sure it will fit. It was the only one I found that was made for year close to mine. And I looked up the e-fan. In terms of cooling, it wouldnt be necessary for me. I have a v8 raditator for my 3.9l and I think my thermostat is broke.. find out in the winter. Performance wise im a little skeptical. I feel that it might not be worth the effort.

·
Member of Team Awsome
1,261 Posts
the e-fan is more about freeing up horsepower not so much better cooling and seeing that you have a 91 i dont think your a candidate for a hogged out throttle body. I got a nice little boost from doing the ol "crank sensor mod" but i dont know if it works on a 91. Its a freebie tho

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
The 91 is a throtle body injected LA style engine. So you are going to need to deploy most of the old school techniques to gain power and efficiency. Play with heat ranges on plugs, good wires, better ignition system, things of that matter, and headers like Shokota sugguested. Also the efan is an excellent mod to free up some horepower. From what I can remember you don't have a crank position sensor, so that mod won't work for you. Shoot me a pm if you need some advice, I'm pretty familar with the LA/Magnum platform of engines.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts