Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Gen2 help hotline
5,611 Posts
personally i could care less, yes maybe there was usable parts. but smelt them down so the auto makers can start digging their way out of the hole

i work for GM (prototype testing)and i know first hand that our powertrain plants had to go on overtime first time since last august(08) because we did not have enough engines built to meet the demand. saved alot of jobs up here in Michigan (my uncle got his job back at chrsler after being laid off since b4 xmas)

·
Captain Cobalt
1,870 Posts
personally i could care less, yes maybe there was usable parts. but smelt them down so the auto makers can start digging their way out of the hole

i work for GM (prototype testing)and i know first hand that our powertrain plants had to go on overtime first time since last august(08) because we did not have enough engines built to meet the demand. saved alot of jobs up here in Michigan (my uncle got his job back at chrsler after being laid off since b4 xmas)

I did my part:cool:

·
CDOM April 2009
2,743 Posts
i'd also prefer to see them not crushed and all that, just so there would be more parts floating around... but lookin on the flip side and knowing it saved jobs and brought back jobs.. then it wasn't as bad as i originally thought.

·
Registered
368 Posts
WTF, a 1997 Aston Martin DB7 Volante was traded in? And a BMW X5 was considered a clunker? I have a feeling that dealer ships screwed some people by telling them their car classified as a clunker and was only worth $4500 even though it may have been worth much more that way they wouldn't have to deal with trying to auction it off or resell it. Easier to just get $4500 from the Gov. than give 7k trade in and hope to sell it for 8k in the bad economy.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Can honestly say I did not think of it this way

·
Registered
528 Posts
well i dunno about where yall live but here we have a junkyard that got approved by the gov. to put them in junkyard for 6 months so people can get some parts. i bought a ignition switch out of dakota for my ram for 20 bucks. and might go back for some extra parts. i seen in there caddy escalade,hummer,wranglers,cherokees,grand cherokees, rams,dakotas,durangos,expedition,excursion,f350, all for the cash for clunker program. i was going to trade in my ram but they said that it did not qualify for a full size truck so i decided to keep it since i do have a trailer and stuff i pull with it.

but i did notice that every lot had differant thing about what qualified and what didnt. my father in law traded in a explorer at one dealership and got a fullsize chevy truck. also we went to several dealerships with it and they say only few cars he could get and so forth it was very opened rules in my book. basically it was there choice

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
from what i had heard, the junkyards might be able to sell some of the other parts, but absolutely no powertrain parts were supposed to be sold, because getting those parts off the road was one of the main purposes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
from what i had heard, the junkyards might be able to sell some of the other parts, but absolutely no powertrain parts were supposed to be sold, because getting those parts off the road was one of the main purposes.
you would only be able to use the trannys any way cuz when i did it i had to pour shit in the engines to seize them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.