Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do any of yall have an engine driven compressor how is it i came across an old delco ac compressor its brand new how hard would it be to convert it and install it has the old skool v belts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sup man, well I just converted my 97 "kota from electric to belt-driven. I have a stock 97 dakota a/c compressor (sandin) and I will be finishing it tomorrow, I was told that i needed an in-line water trap ($12) and I have 2 buy a fitting, which is about $20, and finally a filter, 2-3 inch will be sufficient i was told. I'll post tomorrow when i finish it. I might even complete it 2nite. I'll let u know....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright man just send me a pic. whenever you can, but i wanted to keep my a/c and add another compressor to the mix.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do you need to install an oiler? I believe that the old yorks were a sealed unit. Where as the newer compressors were dependent upon the refrigerant to carry the oil thru the compressor.

·
Registered
464 Posts
an Oiler is needed.....i'd suggest an oiler on any unit...cause the load being put on them is going to wear them down real hard and any lubriaction will help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Can I use a regular stock dakota a/c compressor as a compressor for my air tanks? Will the PSI be sufficient. Can someone PLEASE HELP, i dont want 2 spend any more money.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Prolly until it burns up....Make sure you use a check valve

·
Registered
27 Posts
How often would i have 2 check the oil level and what is an in-line oiler and how would i use or set it up?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I DID IT!!!! I converted my a/c compressor to an air compressor. I've checked the oil quite a few times just to make sure its lubricated. There was some stankin' ass gas at first but that was bcuz i used the wrong damn o-rings! Got the right ones and it runs like a bitch. From 0-150 psi, somewhere in the neighborhood of 1-2 minutes!!! 10 gallons of air!! Just gotta watch that oil level. Kinda expensive, but "you gotta pay to play"

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats tight but no a/c i would do that but its hot down here in texas i wish i could fill that fast i got a viair 450 and a cheap thomas one on a 5 gallon tank it takes bout 5 min if i do that i would add 1 more a/c compressor so i can keep my a/c and 1 more tank i hit switches like crazy and the bottle gets expensive

·
Registered
27 Posts
well like i mentioned, "you have to pay to play" My Dakota has been down for about 2 months, (tried to get those damn Lambo doors installed) Outta luck with that and so I went back OEM. The only other thing i have to purchase is a 1-way check valve 2 keep the pressure off of the ompressor, but other than that, its AWESOME!!!!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I run Nitrogen. and a A/c Compressor mounted to a hydraulic motor. Same concept but only runs at around 3,000rpm and humongous amp draw. on 9 gallons...instantaneous ;-). But then again the body drop doesn't seemuch road just the inside of the enclosed trailer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thats kinda cool. Here in Memphis where i am, there is an annual football game known as the Southern Heritage Classic, been going on for years. I stunted my ass off with my wife riding shotgun. Just wish i had my damn lambo doors on....oh well. There arent many many bagged trucks here, maybe 100-150 (pushing it in a city of about 400,000!!! And there was only "1" other bagged Dakota other than mine, but that gu sold it 2 some kid in Dallas. Although my wife was getting ticked about the attention I was drawing from the chiks, it was a pretty cool exp. But the best part is, from 0-160 psi, PROBABLY 45 seconds!!!, OEM compressor $230, Full tank of gas $42, stuntin' ya ass off, hittin' 10 switches, and no one can get on your level...PRICELESS!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
kjamison2001 said:
Thats kinda cool. Here in Memphis where i am, there is an annual football game known as the Southern Heritage Classic, been going on for years. I stunted my ass off with my wife riding shotgun. Just wish i had my damn lambo doors on....oh well. There arent many many bagged trucks here, maybe 100-150 (pushing it in a city of about 400,000!!! And there was only "1" other bagged Dakota other than mine, but that gu sold it 2 some kid in Dallas. Although my wife was getting ticked about the attention I was drawing from the chiks, it was a pretty cool exp. But the best part is, from 0-160 psi, PROBABLY 45 seconds!!!, OEM compressor $230, Full tank of gas $42, stuntin' ya ass off, hittin' 10 switches, and no one can get on your level...PRICELESS!!
what up dude, I got a 97 with a Sanden 4692 in it. Could you show me what to get and how to wire that up to my tank? them electric comps are freaking killing me on fill time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
jin-eu said:
what up dude, I got a 97 with a Sanden 4692 in it. Could you show me what to get and how to wire that up to my tank? them electric comps are freaking killing me on fill time.

okay I got all the stuff I need... BUT where the fitting are supopsed to go. There isn't anything to screw them in. Anyone know what kind of fittings I need and where I can get them?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts