Dodge Dakota Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So like the title says, I'm planning on converting a 2000 2wd, quadcab dakota into diesel. I'll be putting in a Cummins 6-BT. This is something that seems almost unheard in a 2wd, and I'm a little worried, mostly about it fitting.

after going over it, i thought of cross member clearance being an issue, and the added 500lbs on the front end

Is there anyone on here that might have thoughts on this? any other problems you think i may run into? Solutions?

any ideas, pointers etc. are appreciated. I don't mind opinions either but bashing is getting no one anywhere.

Thanks,
Jamie

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any ideas on combating that? heavier coils? airbags? somehow just beefing up the front end.

Don't think i'll have issues with the cross member or steering rack?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nope thats just motor, but the trans is centered. I'm more worried about the engine weight because it's right over the wheels.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
You could probably do the 6bt with just better coils, and maybe some minimal bracing.... the frame is pretty tough to begin with.

I think I remember a guy that did the 6bt, it fit in the engine bay he just had to use electric pusher fans and mount them on the other side of the rad. Also (correct me if I'm wrong) but doesn't the 4bt make about the same or less torque than the 360 gas engine? So I guess I'm changing my opinion..... go big or go home 6BT FTW lol

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
fun facts
318 weight Bare engine: about 560 lbs. With manifolds: About 650 lbs. With bellhousing and starter: About 750.

The 5.9 litres (360.0 cu in) 6BT, aka the Cummins "12-valve"
950-1000lbs wet: Cummins Engines

so i say put what you take out on a scale before you go to crazy on your suspension

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm worried about ride quality though, with such a heavy motor and heavy springs.. the ride would be pretty bouncy, no?

Keep in mind this is going to be a TWO WHEEL DRIVE and I'm NOT lifting it, all diesel conversions I've seen are either a lifted 2wd, 4x4 or lifted 4x4.

Yep, exactly running pusher fans and I'm also putting the batteries in the bed, clear up some room. Ya the 4bt is pretty weak, stock i believe it makes something in the area of 100hp (i think), I'm not sure about the torque, but its nothing big. The beauty of these diesels though, is they can be modified to make huge power very easily. A $100 fuel plate makes a night and day difference.

I don't have the motor yet, nor do i have the truck. This is going to be a project, i just don't want to jump in it. I should have the right truck soon though, I'm on the hunt. I also have a 98 6BT with tranny, 300 something thou. km for $1500 lined up which isn't too bad.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
if you go extended cab you can push it back into the fire wall and that well help put some of that weight towards the back. if it's bounce you can just get some good shocks

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
definatley wanting the quad cab for the seating. Ok cool, when i get started ill let you guys know

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey, I hope your swap is going well. Id be willing to help anyway I can. If you have any questions. I have the 4x4 with the 4 pusher fans and the 6BT with an automatic riding on 38's.
shoot me an email:
[email protected]
Rob

·
Registered
815 Posts
Jesus 6BT thats a hell of a truck.... hats off fella...

As for the wieght, as mentioned before, weigh what you take out, against what you put in... I'll bet its not a huge difference... people go from 4cylinders to big blocks... which is probably close in weight gains, mind you not exceeding the 1000lbs I wouldn't think.

Here's what I'd look into.... coils off a 2500 Ram.... which would be off a solid axle truck, however building new control arms and modifying your frame pockets.. if needed, to accomodate the heavy springs... shocks.. and good ones will prevent bounce, the wieght of the engine will keep it planted ... OR you could just bag the truck, and problem solved... they'll lift whatever you need with the right bag... done and done..

now get to work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Their was a guy named Jeff Garmon that did exactly what u want to do, from what i remember he used a set of coils from a 2wd 3/4 ton diesel truck that from what i was told was an exact fit and did exactly what he needed . . .

Hope this helps

rob

·
CDOM April 2009
2,743 Posts
the main concern i have... is that the 6bt is tall.

meaning that the lift was prolly NEEDED for the room it makes down low.

i've never measured one with everything hooked up though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts