Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
145.7db with one 12" sub
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on making custom door panels for my single cab 98 dakota this summer. Just a flat panel with a hole for the window crank and speaker pods for some 3way components.

Has anyone on here ever done this? If so how did you attach the custom panel to the door?

I plan on having a tweeter pod on the opposite side of the mirror where the little triangle shape is, and then I will have two more pods for my midbass and mid treble. I figure that I can attach the panel to the door in those spots, but that is still only going to be one side hooked to the door. Anyone have other ideas?

I am putting on poppers so I won't need the handle or lock.

·
Captain Cobalt
1,870 Posts
When I do mine, I am going to cut the stock panel. I was going to cut about 2 inches from the edge all the way down the sides and bottom. And cut the top where it starts to curve. This way you keep the lip at the top and your screws at the bottom. Them I am going to get some 1/8 hardboard and staple/glue it to the "Frame" I have left. then I can cut my speaker rings and anything else, staple fleece down, fiberglass, bondo, sand, sand some more, paint and there you go.

·
Registered
239 Posts
or you can tarce your oeiginal panel on the wood, cut out and drill holes out where the old clips used to be, then put auveco clips in, or christmas trees. Then when you cover it with material, you won't be able to see the clips.

Bk

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yeah, but you can still glass some stuff in, or whatever you want, I was just saying that you could attatch it that way too...

Bk

·
Registered
76 Posts
only problem with that idea is that 97 and up dakota panels hook into the door there not clipped into the door u have to undo the screws and then lift up on the door pad to get it off the best way to do it the way u want to do it is to jus make the pad and mount it however u want with screws and make sure u make the top lip that clips into the window ledge

·
Captain Cobalt
1,870 Posts
Which is why I think my idea would give you the best of both worlds, factory mounting and a flat surface (the hardboard) to fiberglass or cover with material.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yeah, nyc is right....

Bk

·
Registered
867 Posts
only problem with that idea is that 97 and up dakota panels hook into the door there not clipped into the door u have to undo the screws and then lift up on the door pad to get it off the best way to do it the way u want to do it is to jus make the pad and mount it however u want with screws and make sure u make the top lip that clips into the window ledge
True but all you would need to do to use x mas tree clips is drill a few holes....and thats not very hard.....i do like the idea of using the stock window molding with the cut stock panel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts