Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to know if you cab just run a lowering shackle without the hanger? I was looking to do a somewhat budget friendly drop on the 01 dakota. I want a 4'' drop in the rear and 3'' drop in the front. don't know if I should just do blocks in back or spend the extra $ and and do shackles and hangers. But I did want to know if I could just do the shackles without the hangers?

·
Gen2 help hotline
5,611 Posts
you need the shackles and hangers since the combo will allow the leaf to properly stretch during spring movement. oem ones will not give the correct dearching and will just make the rear really rigid and a harsh ride like you have little suspension in rear

block will also give u that stiff rear but it'll wander during hard accel and typically causes axle wrap (wheel hop) it'll feel like a surge when u accel and a slap when off throttle

·
My pop pop's 91
735 Posts
I wanted to know if you cab just run a lowering shackle without the hanger? I was looking to do a somewhat budget friendly drop on the 01 dakota. I want a 4'' drop in the rear and 3'' drop in the front. don't know if I should just do blocks in back or spend the extra $ and and do shackles and hangers. But I did want to know if I could just do the shackles without the hangers?
for the rear you can do a hanger flip. cheap and its the exact same as an aftermarket shackle and hanger kit. you'll need new shocks in the rear though

·
Registered
698 Posts
i used 3" blocks on mine, been 2 years now and still rides like it was brand new. But on the safer side i'd go with hanger & shackle kit and some new coils up front... be ready to spend $700 up though... drops for our gens are pricey

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a rear, 4'' hanger and shackle kit and front 3'' coils pretty cheap. just waitin for them to come in the mail. I did a lot of looking around b4 purchasing. The total was less the $400. Now all i gotta do is get the shocks. anyone got any preferred brands on shocks???

·
Registered
698 Posts
I got a rear, 4'' hanger and shackle kit and front 3'' coils pretty cheap. just waitin for them to come in the mail. I did a lot of looking around b4 purchasing. The total was less the $400. Now all i gotta do is get the shocks. anyone got any preferred brands on shocks???

TOXIC!!! FTW!!!!:rauch08:

·
Gen2 help hotline
5,611 Posts
i had toxic's once ...total crap your better off buying KYB or monroes. toxic did not last long on michigan roads and winter. i wanna say 8months and they had to be cut out cuz the sleeves rusted solid

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had my blocks on for 3 years and its starting to run rough. I hit a bump and feel it so I am swapping it all out running Beltech hangers and shackles with the 3inch drop leafs and 3 inch drop shocks plus a anti sway bar.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So i did the install this weekend. Wow i didnt realize there would be that much involved with the rear end. And by the way. I ordered the belltech hanger and shackle kit for the rear and when coming to install the rear shackle hangers i seen that the paper work said that there is a specific one for the right hand side and left side. However when i went to inatall they fit on the opposite sides. The left hanger fit with the holes on the right side of the frme and vice versa. Whats up with that? Is it a major issue to have those on the opposite sides? Other than that everything fit as planned. Just very time consuming. If someone knows anything about thoae rear shackle hangers i would like to know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i'm new to lowering with leafs, i can't go out and look at my dak right not (it's in FL and I'm in MO) i have an 01 v6 2wd sport... it appears to have a flip kit in the back and seems overall lower than my friends sport... but i am way too high in the air for my liking, and now that i'm not really towing anything with it anymore i can lower it finally

for the rear you can do a hanger flip. cheap and its the exact same as an aftermarket shackle and hanger kit. you'll need new shocks in the rear though
i was going to ask how to do this.... but i found your thread over at dodgeforum

How to: Hanger Flip, Dodge Dakota - DodgeForum.com
i will now be doing this at the end of the month when i get home

·
Registered
211 Posts
Dakotas are axle over leafs so it has not been flipped unless your talking about a hanger flip. Which i wouldn't go that route unless you plan on using shims to correct the pinion angle. The best way to go is a hanger/shackle kit because it moves the whole leaf spring up evenly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts