Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found a wrecked durango and the axle is good, the truck had a 5.9 in it but, would i be able to use the axle, the reason for this would be because its disc brakes instead of my drum set up i currently have?

·
Admin .. Serious business
2,302 Posts
A couple of things you might want to check out. One being where the spring perches are. Aren't the Durango spring perches located on top of the axle and a 2wd Dakota's mounted on the bottom? On Durangos the axle rides below the rear leaf springs and 2wd Dakota's have the axle on top of the leaf springs. Another thing is shock mounts. I believe that the shock mounts are located on the lower U-bolt plate on a Durango and on a Dakota the shock mounts are welded to the axle.

I'm looking at doing the exact same swap on my Dakota for the same reason. Rear disc brakes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i got the idea from a guy with a 98 dakota and he said he just stripped the durango axle of all of its componets and welded on the brackets/shock mounts so it would work for him he did not need to worry about the leaf springs thou because he's got a 4-link with 2500 bags

·
Admin .. Serious business
2,302 Posts
DUH! What a total dipshit I am ....

I thought about this some more and there's no reason you couldn't pull the axles and swap out the backing plates with the disc setup onto with existing rear end. That would work. Double check the axle flange though to make sure it has the same bolt pattern. Pretty sure it should be the same.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I switched my rear end for a stronger durango 12 bolt...all you have to to if you are not bagged is get some axle perches from the parts store(any speed shop should be reasonable around $25) set the rear end in place, then weld it up....u can use the durango shock plates (the plates that the u bolts go through) an all you have to do is relocate the shock mount on the passenger side to the spare tire crossmember like the driver side shock is..hope this info helps u out

·
Registered
867 Posts
I switched my rear end for a stronger durango 12 bolt...all you have to to if you are not bagged is get some axle perches from the parts store(any speed shop should be reasonable around $25) set the rear end in place, then weld it up....u can use the durango shock plates (the plates that the u bolts go through) an all you have to do is relocate the shock mount on the passenger side to the spare tire crossmember like the driver side shock is..hope this info helps u out
O i forgot to mention...u do all of this after you cut off the old leaf spring mounts and sway bar mounts..if it has any...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts