Dodge Dakota Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know anything about those electric superchargers, i normally wouldnt be one to buy something like that but they dont sound too bad, they say that they can produce 2-3 psi of boost but i also read that they work best on small engines so i dont know if i would get that from my V8... Give me some opinions...

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
they do not work...don't waste your money

They are essentially just little fans, and a fan can not compress air. Besisdes that, it would be on all the time...how does it regulate it's speed? it would be spinning the same speed through the RPM range, it would probably restricting air flow if anything

·
Whore King
16,796 Posts
they do not work...don't waste your money

They are essentially just little fans, and a fan can not compress air. Besisdes that, it would be on all the time...how does it regulate it's speed? it would be spinning the same speed through the RPM range, it would probably restricting air flow if anything
ahhh that little piece of shit now i remember it.yea dont buy it

·
skyscrappin dakota
3,163 Posts
HAHA my friend bought an electric turbo for his S10 cause I guess some came equipped with one, but yea what a waste of money since it worked exactly like AmberFire said.
Funny part is he asked my opinon on the thing and I told him I don't see how that's gonna work, but don't come to me all pissed off if I'm right.

·
Bal-LaL-LoP!!!
3,452 Posts
I think they are made for smaller engines, my friend had one for a little bit on his accord when it was stock. he had it hooked up to a swtich, i think it spins faster as you go faster. either way i think they're just a b/s turdbo for cars that can't handle a real one...

good way to make money off people that don't know the differance though. when he was done he sold it to some kid for like $90 who insisted on having it, 40 more than what he actually paid for it.

·
Resident Superhero
4,762 Posts
hmm.
N/A v8 motors suck air in at roughly 250 cfm.
i've seen some of the elec.sc's will actually move air at 900 cfm
you will see performance improve, not nearly what a small turbo will do, but 2-3 psi is better than nothing,

in fact, N/A engines are running at neg psi.
if all you do is zero it out, you will see a gain.
all electric suprchargers do is "help" the engine. much like anestsia "helps" you fall asleep during surgery
they shouldn't be used for real performace applications but for a daily driver it might work

now that you have more info....

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
hmm.
N/A v8 motors suck air in at roughly 250 cfm.
i've seen some of the elec.sc's will actually move air at 900 cfm
you will see performance improve, not nearly what a small turbo will do, but 2-3 psi is better than nothing,

in fact, N/A engines are running at neg psi.
if all you do is zero it out, you will see a gain.
all electric suprchargers do is "help" the engine. much like anestsia "helps" you fall asleep during surgery
they shouldn't be used for real performace applications but for a daily driver it might work

now that you have more info....
yes alot of fans will move a good amount of cfms but they will not compress the air.....unless it's under pressure your not gonna force any extra air into the cylinder

·
Registered
212 Posts
whats that, a 12volt hairdryer on the end of my intake will make me faster? sounds like a deal to me...I have one for blowing up my airbed for camping, i'll sell you that one cheap

·
Whore King
16,796 Posts
whats that, a 12volt hairdryer on the end of my intake will make me faster? sounds like a deal to me...I have one for blowing up my airbed for camping, i'll sell you that one cheap
rofl

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
haha yea i kinda had a feeling that it was a waste of money, why would they only cost $100 if they push half the boost that a $5000 turbo kit would... Idea sounded gay to me in the first place and i had my doubts but a few of my friends told me to look into it, but now that i think about it i wouldnt want something like that on my truck anyways, if i put that on then i think i would downgrade to ricer level.... thanks for the imput guys...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts