Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short i hit a man hole cover and it ripped off my drivers side control arm off...not sure if its totaled yet :mad:
well let me start with saying DJM control arms suck OK well let me start from the beginning......Well some buddies and i were going to walmart to buy some cookies tonight, and in the turning lane there, i hit a manhole cover that was sticking out from above the ground and it ripped my driver side control arm off.....i mean it broke off at the welds and fell the fuck off I guess my dak was too low and i hit the cover just right and fucked up the mounts for my control arm, dented my front cross member. We were going like 25-35MPH when it happened, and the God dam air bags went off. And when i hit the man hole cover it managed to push my battery (smaller red top battery) forward and disconnected my power wires. so i had to fix that just to get my flashers on. while i was waiting for the tow truck to get there, a cop in a SUV pulled up and put some flares down. After i told him how long it was suppose to take for the tow truck, he left and said he would check back in with me...i mean WTF is that :confused: so then the tow truck gets there he cant get the cables to stay hooked, so i had to take my front bumper off(with my tools, since he didn't have any), so he wouldnt rip it off :mad: As of right now i have no clue if its totaled or not :(

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
here are the pics.....
how it sat after the i stopped

the fucked up DJM 3" lower control arm

the arm off the dak...after it fell off

And my dak on the tow truck

·
Registered
92 Posts
looks like an easy fix replace your control arms i would call djm and try to get a new set or something i bet that felt like shit when it hit

·
223 Posts
And when DJM ask's tell them it was NOT on bags and send them pics of it when you had the static drop. Sucks to hear and see your truck like that. Frame at the dealer is ~2400. I dont know if they would replace just the crossmember or try to do the whole thing. I priced it when I was going back to stock. Good luck making it better. Oh and I had a manhole cover jump up and grab one of my drag blocks. Pic below.

Attachments

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looks like an easy fix replace your control arms i would call djm and try to get a new set or something i bet that felt like shit when it hit
well the air bags went off (might have forgot to mention that), and it wasn't starting, so there is a little more damage i guess....i wasn't going that fast, so i didn't even feel the air bags, i had me seat all the way back, so i just saw it come out but i didn't hit the air bag

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And when DJM ask's tell them it was NOT on bags and send them pics of it when you had the static drop. Sucks to hear and see your truck like that. Frame at the dealer is ~2400. I dont know if they would replace just the crossmember or try to do the whole thing. I priced it when I was going back to stock. Good luck making it better. Oh and I had a manhole cover jump up and grab one of my drag blocks. Pic below.
well i have have hit another manhole in the same area, anit riped off the blocks (they were already ground down very far) and bent the bracket i made for it

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well actually, i looked at it today in the sunlight, and the control arm mounts are bent back a decent amount. and also a wiring harness is shredded to hell, so i need to fix that before i am even able to start my dak:mad: but its only like 10-15 wires and 1/2 of them are color coded

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Damn that sucks. Sue the city for not taking care of their roads. They would probably throw it back in your face saying your suspension was illegal and too low.

I had something similar happen. There was this nasty set of railroad tracks. I was pretty low, but slowed down to 15 mph or so. The front crossmember hit so hard the steering wheel airbag went off. Luckily, the pass side wasn't connected. It didn't bend my control arms, but put a nice dent in the crossmember. Good luck in getting your Dak back up to speed.

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damn that sucks. Sue the city for not taking care of their roads. They would probably throw it back in your face saying your suspension was illegal and too low.

I had something similar happen. There was this nasty set of railroad tracks. I was pretty low, but slowed down to 15 mph or so. The front crossmember hit so hard the steering wheel airbag went off. Luckily, the pass side wasn't connected. It didn't bend my control arms, but put a nice dent in the crossmember. Good luck in getting your Dak back up to speed.
so where did you go to get the replaced, and how much was it to get it taken out and replaced?

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I never got the airbag replaced. I just cut it out and pushed the flap back in. I was planning on putting a screen or getting a billet steering wheel, but sold it before I got to it. This was on my previous 97 Dakota.

·
Smurf
263 Posts
man that fuckn sux i would raise hell because the control arms broke at the welds and that can get djm in alot of trouble because all vehicular parts are supposed to be made to 60000 lbs specs (i believe) check on that one but you could make alot of money on that one

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
well actually, i looked at it today in the sunlight, and the control arm mounts are bent back a decent amount. and also a wiring harness is shredded to hell, so i need to fix that before i am even able to start my dak:mad: but its only like 10-15 wires and 1/2 of them are color coded
Where is the wiring harness located?

·
223 Posts
That was something I always had in the back of my mind. Would dragging or dropping it from real high and landing hard break a headlight or cause my airbag to go off.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey Man sorry to hear about your truck I am a welding tech. and regards to weld failure it does not look like weld failed as much as the parent metal in heat effected zone.When that much force is put on a part the weakest link will fail and that is not the manway.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i smell a lawsuit against the city...and i dont think it matters that your truck is slammed...they are lucky a motorcyclist never hit it and died...i think you could win

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
he cant sue the city, other wise everyone that gets a flat tire from pot holes could..
well you would be surprised...the main thing is the amount of $ it would take to sue the city, to just fix the flat tire. i am looking into it right now, and it looks like i could sue them for failure to maintain roads (or something similar), cause i normally drive it lower than it was at that point, and i didn't have any problems until i hit the manhole cover that wasn't flush with the ground

·
Registered
92 Posts
it will take alot of money to sue the city its not even worth it i remember back it 02 when my pops got a new truck bout 2 weeks old and the traffic light fell on the windshield broke the side windows and scrached up the paint really bad the city said that it was his fault and the insurance comp said it will just be easier and cheaper to just pay the deductable

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Where is the wiring harness located?
right here.....in the wheel well to the left of the tire....

it will take alot of money to sue the city its not even worth it i remember back it 02 when my pops got a new truck bout 2 weeks old and the traffic light fell on the windshield broke the side windows and scrached up the paint really bad the city said that it was his fault and the insurance comp said it will just be easier and cheaper to just pay the deductable
gotta love the system:mad:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts