Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a statement in the chatbox I thought I read from someone on this site. Here is what I was trying to get at and a link with some more general airbag info.

"What do the ratios mean for bags? Like, I've heard people say mounted using a 2:1 ratio, etc. before and I'm wondering what it is. It is the amount the wheel moves in relation to the bag. For example, if you put your rear bags on the axle, the axle moves 1" for every inch of bag movement. that is 1:1. if you put the bag halfway up on your fourlink, or two link, bar, the wheel will move 2" for every 1" of bag movement. that is 2:1. Where it gets tricky, is that as the ratio goes up, the required spring rate goes up. that is why a 224 bag over the axle rides bad, but in a lever- cantilever system it rides nice. The spring rate increase needed is in direct proportion to the ratio. An example is... an F9000 is rated at 1500 # @ 100 psi. Work beautiful at 1:1. A 224 is rated at 3000# @ 100 psi. Works great at 2:1. And is way to stiff at 1:1."

http://www.bagginit.com/faq.html#23

I made a post for this for kotaon18s because everyone would hate me if i posted the above in the chatbox. From the above text I can see why Ive only seen them mounted behind/above the axle. All questions, comments, opinions welcome.

Justice

·
Registered
528 Posts
the info is great i was wondering about the ratio thing gets confussin after awhile but anyhow my bags mounts are right behind the axle on the outside of frame the 2600s is awful close to the wheel and i have 20x7.5s dont want busted bag and the f9000s i heard is a good bag to ride on just havent heard or seen the sleeve bags on anything around here around here we have mostly ricers no offence and s dimes people compare the dakotas to the sdimes dont know why they r totally diff but anyhow does the f9000 have to be mounted str8 up and down or can they have a little angle to em

·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Pic from suicidedoors.com [link=hyperlink url]http://www.suicidedoors.com/products/firestone_f9000_airbags.htm[/link]

I dont think this is all the way compressed but you would think the top and bottom would have to stay pretty parallel to eachother since the bag doesnt have any middle support like a double convoluted bag.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am running the F9000's on the rear of my '99 Dak in a 1:1 ratio and they do just fine for me. My brother and I put a set on his '88 Cougar in the rear with a set of custom made brackets. They are not quite straight, only a little bit of an angle. The rear of that car set up kinda like a triangulated 4-link I think. Car rides excellent.

·
Registered
528 Posts
see i dunno what to do i like my 2600s but they close to back of wheel if my camera would wurk i post sum pics but o well on that i was taking pictures and this big gurl walked in front of me right when it happened lol j/k anyhow a digitial camera and grnd dont mix well trk on top of it dont help either lol but anyhow the bags r like a finger width away from wheel just worried about the side to side movement i get with panhard bar dont wanna blow it out and 2500s prolly ride ruffer than the 2600s decisions decisions !violent1

·
Registered
19 Posts
2500s ride better than 2600s the 26can hold more weight and create a stifer and shittier ride but if thats what you like keep your 2600s

·
Registered
528 Posts
ok i put some shocks on the back to keep it from bouncing and got to messing around with the trk alittle when the bags r fully compressed they r about inch away from wheel but when they r filled up they r plenty away from the wheel so i should be alright on em im just going to carry some 2500s around with me in my extra parts box that way if sumthun does happen i can get her home or somewhere safe lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts