Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am starting a new project for the dakota in what little free time i have. I would love some input on the materials i am using. For now i am not going into exactly what part of the truck this is for, so don't ask. I will post pics of the progress and it will be pretty clear.

So i am making a fiberglass housing inside of a existing plastic housing. Basically i have a two fiberglass holders that i need to mount inside the plastic housing. There isn't enough room for fleece and resin. Would glass mat and resin bond to the plastic or eat through it. This is something that will get looked at alot and in plain view, so it needs to be clean. thats why i am using fiberglass instead of just glue or screws. Also it will be getting a decent amount of vibration so it needs to be solid when done.

I just need to know how to go about mounting two fiberglass holders that are in ruff shape inside a plastic housing. the holders are in ruff shape since i cut them down from size from a different "project" I need to clean up the look of them and mount them inside of the plastic housing. When its all done it needs to be a one piece housing with the fiberglass holders molded and bonded/attached to the rest of the housing.

·
145.7db with one 12" sub
1,258 Posts
it depends on how flexible the plastic piece is. if it's something like a rollpan or front bumper cover then the glass isn't going to bond well with it. if it's hard like an interior piece than you should be fine.

when you move flexible plastic with glass/resin attached to it, the glass will come off in the shape of whatever it was bonded to.

maybe that kinda sorta answers your question.

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the plastic isn't flexible. its as hard as the interior pieces. so the resin and mat will bond the fiberglass holders toe the plastic?

·
Registered
131 Posts
no, resin will not bond to plastic, at least not very well for very long. best thing you can do is scuff the plast or should I say rough up the plastic then drill a bunch of tiny holes in it. as you are glassing, try to work some of the milled strand fibers into the holes you drilled and into the roughed up area. that will hold it, but it won't form a permanent bond

·
Registered
131 Posts
the other option is to make the fiberglass piece, drill and pop rivet it to the plastic, then glass over the rivets, but in tight places that isn't exactly easy

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have glassed about every piece in the interior possible, and have had no problems (its been done for about 2 years now)....hit me up with any questions, im sure i can help.....also i notice u are in VA....your not going to Heritage are u?? ( in whitesburg, KY)....

·
CDOM March 2009
1,936 Posts
jay, i have some military grade epoxy bondo kinda stuff, bonds well to plastic using it now for my gauges and used it for the sirius mount. i should be down this weekend.

·
Registered
303 Posts
^^^ evercoat does make some good stuff for bonding plastics as well.....use it through a caulking gun...maxim is the metal kind, but they have one for plastics......its expensive though (like 30-40 bucks) for a little tube....its strong stuff though

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^^ evercoat does make some good stuff for bonding plastics as well.....use it through a caulking gun...maxim is the metal kind, but they have one for plastics......its expensive though (like 30-40 bucks) for a little tube....its strong stuff though
Yeah i am not worried about price, as long as it holds:1237:
I would try some panel bond.
I will look into that, thanks for the input
jay, i have some military grade epoxy bondo kinda stuff, bonds well to plastic using it now for my gauges and used it for the sirius mount. i should be down this weekend.
Yeah birng that and the lube for the drill bits if ya can. I will bring my project with me so you, andrew (if he is coming), and jay can take a look at what i got going on.
I have glassed about every piece in the interior possible, and have had no problems (its been done for about 2 years now)....hit me up with any questions, im sure i can help.....also i notice u are in VA....your not going to Heritage are u?? ( in whitesburg, KY)....
Nope i cant make it this year man, i wanted to but i am having to many problems with my fuel cell. Hopefully i will have it all fixed with my new cell. Let me know when the next show is, i just might go, especially if there is camping.

Thanks for the info so far guys, your deff getting me motivated to get some materials and get some progress so i can get some pics

·
Registered
152 Posts
We use 3m and IES at work and glue quarter panels on with it so it is more then strong enough. I shaved the holes in my front bumper on my civic with it. just make sure you scuff it with at least 80 or coarser grit so it has something to bite into.

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We use 3m and IES at work and glue quarter panels on with it so it is more then strong enough. I shaved the holes in my front bumper on my civic with it. just make sure you scuff it with at least 80 or coarser grit so it has something to bite into.
Cool, sounds like exactly what i am looking for. Any idea where i can get it? Have a like to a online place maybe?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Don't know of any online places to get it but any autobody supply store should have it. Ask them for panel bond. Only thing is the gun for it is expensive. You could find one on ebay or maybe find someone that has one you can borrow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.