Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
what exactly are you doing? Do you just want a sub box, center console, or what? How big do you plan on building it? Do you just want to know how to work with fiberglass, or the best way to build a box?

·
Registered
442 Posts
you would need to create a box to fit the area you want. This box would be used to create a mold. Then you or someone who knows how to do fiberglass should create it from there.

Good luck. Keep us up in the progress...:)

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
For something like that I would start with a MDF bottom plate. Then make a set of MDF mounting rings and mount them with some dowel rods. Then wrap the whole thing in fleece, soak it in resin. And then sand it smooth. Thats how I would do it anyway, hope that helps.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hahah i understood u up until...
"Then make a set of MDF mounting rings and mount them with some dowel rods. Then wrap the whole thing in fleece, soak it in resin. And then sand it smooth. Thats how I would do it anyway, hope that helps."
and any ideas on how to make sure i have the right amount of air space for the subs

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
well let me clear it up a little then. Basically you will be doing the same as this guy (link below) did on his box, except instead of making a fiberglass mold, you will just use a flat piece of MDF. You should use MDF for the bottom mainly because fiberglass is stronger in curves, and weaker in flat areas. This site should clear up what i was saying.

here is a link to a very helpful site, at the bottom it also has other sections that explain how to make the sub rings, and other stuff.
http://chris.pfharlock.com/glass/mountrings.htm

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea what about making sure that the subs would have enough air room and stuff fo they beat good and dont blow out on me

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
that's something I cant really help ya with, never really worried about that, I always just made sure that the box was bigger than necessary. I have heard of some people using water to measure it though. Its a bit messy, but I cant think of any other way to measure it on a curved box like that. Hope someone else can chime in to help ya out.

·
Captain Cobalt
1,870 Posts
If the box endsup a little big, it wont blow your sub out. It really is not a noticable difference. If it does end up big you can use polyfill, foam or I have even used old pillows to take up air space.

·
Whore King
16,796 Posts
Use measurements for the subs to make a box that you can fit inside the incloser and then fiberglass the hole thing.That way you can be sure the box is the rite size.

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Use measurements for the subs to make a box that you can fit inside the incloser and then fiberglass the hole thing.That way you can be sure the box is the rite size.
HMMM or......... just use a square enclosures that it the right size as a mold. Glass the inside of it. and then glass around two of those and then your good to go. This way it will be a lot lighter, than having a MDF box inside of the fiberglass box. it will be a lot of work, and it will end up with a little more room, but it will be kick ass when its done, and a lot close to the amount of air the sub needs compared to just guessing

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yea the mdf board on bottom would be good bc then i can lay it on the bench were i use to have my back seat and i can bolt it to the ground so no one can jack em i just gotta figure it out some guy one the internet will build a custom one for me so i might do that

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
he said like 250 hes on ebay if i get him demensions and stuff hell be more accurate with the price so hopefully it will be sick if i do it and i dont get ripped off

1 - 20 of 23 Posts