Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided that I'd like to buy a front bumper cover and a roll pan, but one problem arises, which material should I buy. I know it will depend on the driving conditions, so I'll describe my everyday driving conditions. I live on a 1/4 mile long dirt driveway, it gets somewhat muddy on certain occaisons butI havent had any problems with things scraping my bumper. Then theres the 40 miles of driving highway. Will Urethane or Fiberglass crack very easily? I'm not particularly familiar with either of the materials as far as I know. What is the stock front bumper made of? Finally, which of the 3 materials would not crack easily from driving? Thanks for your time!

[Xtrah]

·
Admin .. Serious business
2,302 Posts
:049: This comes down to a personal preference and I have mine. Here are some pros and cons to consider.

I absolutely hate fiberglass. :eck15: It doesn't have much give and will crack or bust under stress. Rollpans made of fiberglass have a tendancy to "spider" the paint where they've been hit from the backside from flying rocks off the rear tires. Back into one curb with your fiberglass rollpan is almost certainly toast.

The stock lower bumper valance on a Dakota is made of urathane. Heavy duty stuff that will bend, give and roll with the punches. I have a Wings-west front bumper cover and a Street Scene Gen II rollpan on my Quadcab Dakota, both of which are made of urathane. If it happens to get bumped it will flex and spring right back into shape. The downside of a urathane rollpan is they cannot be welded, smoothed and molded into the body like a steel rollpan. Urathane rollpans require additional bracing too simply because they're so flexable they have a tendancy to flap in the wind at highway speeds. Front bumper covers made of urathane don't have a tendancy to do this however so no additional bracing is needed.

A lot of guys prefer the Sir Micheal's rollpan. It's made of steel, can be welded onto your existing rear fenders, then smoothed out to show no seam. Steel is tough and takes a lot of abuse but again, if you back into something you have a dent. A dent that be easily fixed by a body shop though.

Whatever rollpan you decide to get do this little thing before you install it. IT'S A MUST! Spray the backside of the rollpan with some sort of heavy rubberized undercoating. It will minimize flying rocks from the rear tires spidering the paint.

:( Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to give you my 2 cents on the whole thing. My personal preference would be urathane for the reasons I've given. Give ya something to think about anyway.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
For an easier install go with urethane......paint and install. Steel is better in the long run but it's more work to install.....you can't just paint the roll pan and install it, you have to grind down your existing paint along the edges of the pan and weld it in and then paint the whole area. But like it's been said it's easier to fix if you get a little damage. If you crack a urethane pan your pretty much screwed.

Fiberglass body parts suck...I would avoid them if at all possible

It will also depend on the style of roll pan you want......the steel ones are usually pretty basic designs, whereas the urethane ones can be more curvy

·
Whore King
16,796 Posts
Yea again to hit the basics fiberglass-shit except on hoods,urathane-awsome will take anything you throw at it like curbs shopin carts cones small animals o sorry thinkin back on good times back to the point(lol),steel-great holds up good only down falls-dents rust and weld ons but there are bolt on steel roll pans.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a ton yall, I will probably end up with a Urethane one now instead of a steel. Now its just I gotta figure out what kind I would like to get :p So many choices for 1 truck...

[Xtrah]

·
2,302 Posts
If your going urathane don't forget to undercoat the backside and don't forget about the bracing. Some rollpans made from urathane don't supply a brace but it can be very easily made up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After starting to become increasingly fond of the Wings West body kit, I figure I'm going to save up and snag one of those off of ebay... hopefully. Are they pretty reliable kits, any input from someone who owns/has owned one would be greatly appreciated. Also... I must ask, Alta Boy, What type of tonneau cover do you use?

[Xtrah]

·
2,302 Posts
Not exactly sure of the brand (Raider I think) but it does have one little badge on the back that says "Lo Rider". Couldn't bring it upon myself to take that off in my debadging frenzy. LOL

I have a Wings-west front bumper cover and I like it. No problems with the install at all. If there's one down-side it's the mesh grill on the opening of the cover. Not that it's cheap, corodes or anything like that. It's if your runninig a billet grill or SS inserts on the upper grill your opening on the Wings-west cover isn't gonna match. Lower SS inserts or lower billet grills won't work on the cover because the opening is bigger and differently shaped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts