Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so i started buying parts to bag my dak, and i realized i have no F'ing clue what kind, size, or type i need. Sorry in advance for so many questions. If i get 1/2 OD DOT line does that mean i need 1/2 fittings or do i need smaller cause the line is measured by the outer dimension. Also where to i connect the line for gouges? I am looking for push to connect types. So if someone could help me out with my selection that would be SWEET. Also i will be putting the valves close to the bags, so they will not be mounted on the tank. Also will running 5/8" line be any better than 1/2"? Here is what i will be running.

1/2" line
four 1/2" fill valves
four 3/8" dump valves
12 gal tank with eight 1/2" ports
1/2" watertrap (do i need one for both compressors)
four 1/2" check valves
two compressors
two dual needle gauges (for the bags)
one single needle gauge (for the tank)
four single port bags

·
Registered
528 Posts
ok well as far as fittings goes i got mine from branham corp. here in town (johnson city tn) and they are a mersco division there push connect fittings are all metal no plastic at all. and for the gauge connection for the tank straight to the tank. for the bags u get a t fitting and put inbetween the valves and bags and most gauges are 1/4 inch line so u got to get the fittings to go down to smaller size. and as far as the water traps i have two one for each compressor well i did. changing over to driven comp. and using the 2 comps. as back up just incase

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
djwolf37 said:
OK, so i started buying parts to bag my dak, and i realized i have no F'ing clue what kind, size, or type i need. Sorry in advance for so many questions. If i get 1/2 OD DOT line does that mean i need 1/2 fittings or do i need smaller cause the line is measured by the outer dimension. Also where to i connect the line for gouges? I am looking for push to connect types. So if someone could help me out with my selection that would be SWEET. Also i will be putting the valves close to the bags, so they will not be mounted on the tank. Also will running 5/8" line be any better than 1/2"? Here is what i will be running.

1/2" line
four 1/2" fill valves
four 3/8" dump valves
12 gal tank with eight 1/2" ports
1/2" watertrap (do i need one for both compressors)
four 1/2" check valves
two compressors
two dual needle gauges (for the bags)
one single needle gauge (for the tank)
four single port bags
Running 5/8 is just a waste of money, plus it is a pain to deal with. 1/2" is plenty. 1/2 line means 1/2 fittings. I would suggest just getting 1/2 valves for the dumps too. Then you can get a brass tee and hook the fill and dump together and have the line going out to the bag in the middle. I have one watertrap for 3 compressors, the only downside is I have all 3 air lines merging into one right before the tank. You want to make sure to install the water traps before the air gets into the tank.

For the guages I used 1/4", but would go with 1/8" or electrical sending units. The 1/4" is too much under the dash where I mounted my guages.

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
admin said:
Running 5/8 is just a waste of money, plus it is a pain to deal with. 1/2" is plenty. 1/2 line means 1/2 fittings. I would suggest just getting 1/2 valves for the dumps too. Then you can get a brass tee and hook the fill and dump together and have the line going out to the bag in the middle. I have one water trap for 3 compressors, the only downside is I have all 3 air lines merging into one right before the tank. You want to make sure to install the water traps before the air gets into the tank.

For the gauges I used 1/4", but would go with 1/8" or electrical sending units. The 1/4" is too much under the dash where I mounted my gauges.
couldn't i just get a 1/2" tee with a Reducing Bushing (1/2 to 3/8) in it, so i can hook up both valves to it? And to hook up the gauges, do i just get a brass tee with a fitting in it (like this), or where do i plug the hose for the gauge to? I will just end up getting two water traps, so i have one for each compressor. What do you guys think of the fitting sets that some web sites sell? Are they worth it, or should i just piece one together my self?

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
djwolf37 said:
couldn't i just get a 1/2" tee with a Reducing Bushing (1/2 to 3/8) in it, so i can hook up both valves to it? And to hook up the gauges, do i just get a brass tee with a fitting in it (like this), or where do i plug the hose for the gauge to? I will just end up getting two water traps, so i have one for each compressor. What do you guys think of the fitting sets that some web sites sell? Are they worth it, or should i just piece one together my self?
You can get a reducer bushing, but it just adds another place a leak can develop. As for the guages, you can get that fitting or you can get a 4 way Tee, not sure what the technical term is, and use that 4th hole for your guages. I piece together all my kits. I have a local hydraluic hose and fitting place and just go there to pick up my fittings. You can get a kit, but most likely you will need some additional pieces.

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so is there any way to tell me exactly (or close to) what fittings i need, and how many?

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
djwolf37 said:
so is there any way to tell me exactly (or close to) what fittings i need, and how many?
easiest way is to draw a diagram of your setup and determine what and how many of each fitting you need. This is what I used to do when installing setups. I would always order one or two extra of the common fitings, just in case one was damaged or leaked.

·
Registered
120 Posts
hey man when i did my valve setup i used 4 1/2" nipples from the tank, 4 1/2" nipples from fill valves to 1/2" 4 way fittings, and then i used 1/2" to 3/8" nipples for the dump valves and then bushings for the rest, if you have any questions just pm me and i will help with what i can

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[QUOTE='kotajoe]hey man when i did my valve setup i used 4 1/2" nipples from the tank, 4 1/2" nipples from fill valves to 1/2" 4 way fittings, and then i used 1/2" to 3/8" nipples for the dump valves and then bushings for the rest, if you have any questions just pm me and i will help with what i can[/QUOTE]
thanks for the info joe, that will be a good place to start from

and the picture idea let me see what else i will need...i think. thanks admin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts