Dodge Dakota Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a newer GMC truck in the junkyard I forget what it was, definitely a loaded luxury model. It had a slightly larger mirror than mine with two reading lights on the bottom, along with a better tilting system/lock. It had already fallen off the windshield and was hanging by the wire, I'm wondering what I will need to do to fasten it to my Dakota windshield properly. Also the wiring... there are two large orange and white wires, then a smaller black one. I would guess positive and negative, then the 3rd must be for dim? There is no security system light on it or temp stuff, all I can think of is a dimmer wire.

·
Banned
177 Posts
It might and I would bet it will go in fine. Our tahoe has the same gentex auto dim mirror as my dakota except it has a compass/temp in the mirror

As for wiring. 1 of course ground 1 constant power and I would bet the third is switched power for when opening doors etc.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
i had an old s10 with a similar light. i've been looking for one of these to put in my dak. the wires should be easy to hook up. probably as above^^.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I was reading further into it, the small black is probably a ground. The large orange is constant and large white is door switched. I know my Dakota dome light has both a constant and a switched, I can run it up above the headliner. Eventually I want to figure out how I can wire my dome light switched wire through/off my dash light circuit so I can dim ALL the interior lights.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hooked it up to a 12v source, black to ground. When you have positive power to the red wire the lights work when you click the switches, but when you apply 12v to the white wire nothing happens? I was expecting the white wire to illuminate both lights regardless of whether the switches are depressed or not...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What model gentex mirror is it?

When the mirror is fully dimmed touch the white wire to a 12 volt source, if the dimming turns off that is your reverse sensor wire.
"metagal 0151272" "02*51272"

I don't have a dimmable lead, I was using the 12v yellow wire on a PC power supply to test it (same as car battery).

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh whaaat that's awesome! So then how would I wire that up (the white wire) just a 12v source? But it won't be disabled during reverse if I hardware the white to the red? I thought something was different about this mirror because if you hold it upside down and look at it almost flat across it starts to look like defrost strips on your rear window or when you point a video camera into a tv displaying what the camera is seeing.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure I understand how the reverse wire is setup, does it receive a signal or a voltage?

Ya here it is, junkyard special just needs to be cleaned up:

Red, White and a smaller Black:

If you can read it here is the information on the back:

·
Registered
815 Posts
I wanna say it has to do with constant power/ground and illumination...

Meaning its operated off your headlight/interior light/door switch but also has the constant for the map lights when not using the interior lights ....

I don't think it would be a compass/temp mirror, they generally have a module hooked up to them for the control of that.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wanna say it has to do with constant power/ground and illumination...

Meaning its operated off your headlight/interior light/door switch but also has the constant for the map lights when not using the interior lights ....
I tried 12v power to the white wire and nothing happened they did not both come on.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
i believe one of the wire is a power and there are 2 grounds. one works with the door switch and one with the switches on the mirror to connect the circuits.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Solved

i believe one of the wire is a power and there are 2 grounds. one works with the door switch and one with the switches on the mirror to connect the circuits.
Shit man! Your right! SOLVED! :trink39:

Red = Constant Positive
Black = Constant Ground
White = Door Switch Ground

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did not even need to swap "buttons" the new mirror slid right onto the factory button already on the glass:

I'm not sure if the 87-96' Dakotas all had the same exact style rear view mirror or not?

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
great. glad it worked. i've been wanting one of these ever since i got my dak new. my 92 s10 had one and i loved it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I actually spotted a 91-94 Dakota in the junkyard with stock map lights!

I installed the GMC mirror quite a few month's ago onto the Dakota button already glued onto the windshield well today my mirror fell off the windshield...if I used one of those aftermarket repair kits from the auto parts store (Permatex) will it be strong enough to hold up a heavy mirror such as my GMC mirror?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts