Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is the thing my truck is making a crazy noise, from the a/c compressor, the clutch plate on it is catching a clicking louder than it has ever had, I am also hearing the freon moving through the tubes and it lol doesnt sound like it is free flowing almost like it is having trouble moving through the tubes, im wondering if this is just the a/c compressor, and if it is, is it hard to change it out, i think the hardest part would be the serpintine belt, but the compressor doesnt look hard. any comments on this issue would be helpful.

·
Smurf
263 Posts
if it isnt the compressor it is probably your blowermotor the blower motor is abitch to get you and usually you will have to disassemble a good part it the dash to get to it i doubt it will be the compressor if it is you will need to take it in and have it done because it is a little more work and will probably put you ride out of commission for a day or 2 whale you work on it

·
Registered
18 Posts
Changing out a compressor is easy. Anytime you replace a major component or your a/c sits open to atmosphere, you should change your filter drier. It is also easy to change. The only thing is that you are required by law to reclaim the refrigerant that is in the system already. You will also need to bring the system down on vacum to remove any moisture that has gotten in the system while you were changing out parts. Freon dosen't really free flow. You have a orphice tube (or in some cases a TXV vavle) in you high side line before your evaporator that forces the refrigerent to go through a phase change from liquid to gas, which is how it removes heat from the evaporator. If you have any odd noise from the compressor it usually is pretty obvious when you have the hood up and its running. Is it cooling?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah it is still cooling i changed the freon in it about two months ago and there is no leak, im just friggin puzzled

·
Registered
18 Posts
You had/have a leak then. Refrigerant doesn't just go bad. What were your pressures like when you recharged the system? Did you follow your lines to see if you had any oil buildup on the lines by chance?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts