Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i picked up a 92 dodge dakota 2wd extended cab with a 318 in it. it has 170,000 miles on it, my goal is to bag it and a few other thing but first i need to take care of a few things i noticed that some black smoke comes out of the exhuast what do you think this could be? i also noticed that some one redid the exhuast with no cats or o2 sensors the replaced it with dual dynomax mufflers and the mufflers are offset will this create a problem. i talked to the guy and he said he just did a tuneup on the truck.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
noticed two new things today while looking over my dakota the temp sensor that goes to the block the end was broke of so there was anything going to it and i pulled all my spark plugs and the were all consistently black nothing was really oilly just black but i did noticed a lil oil around the bottom the the washer of the spark plug let me know what you guys think, i tried taking a pic but it cam out blurry, there is no wear on the plug the plugs condition looks new just all black

·
Whore King
16,796 Posts
Do a tune up-new wires,cap n rotar.Check oil coolant and other nessecary fluids.Do you have any check engine lights???ID replace that broken sensor soon.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
right now the truck is totally torn down inside and out i'm in the process of redoing everthing so i haven't drove the truck so i'm not positive if it burns any thing just know they day i bought it it didn't seem sluggish but it did have a lil black smoke when you would first start it up i think it went away though after driving it, i am concerned with the fluids leaking on the ground though hoping its just the gaskets.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea i'm possitve he changed the plugs, and yea all the plugs look the same no wear on them no oil residue just black

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
also i'm sure he didn't go through and replace any sensors or anything what all should be looked at.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Yeah it soft, black dry powder correct? It means your've got a rich air/fuel mix.

It's could be 1000 things......anywhere from your computer is messed up, fuel pressure could be off, bad injectors, vacuum leak. To simple things like bad cap or rotor, wrong plugs, bad plug wires, or a bad O2

It's probably due to the fact that your running without an O2 sensor, either put it back in or get an O2 sim.

If that doesn't fix it I would start with the easy stuff.......do another tune up on it, replace the cap and rotor with a set with brass contacts, also do the wires, change the plugs and make sure they are the correct ones for your application. Maybe run a can of seafoam through the engine. Check for loose or disconected vacuum lines, pull the injectors and take a look at them, or if your like me and have no idea what they're supposed to look like lol, take them to a mechanic and have them look at it. Unless you have TBI then ignore that last part lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Amberfire dont take this the worng way please, but what is seafoam??
i have been doing the work on my dakota and other vehicles for as long as i can remember but have never heard of such a product. what does it do and how do you use it??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts