Dodge Dakota Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
troubles with 1989 3.9 v6
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Frame patch from the old rack and pinion pulled out of the frame on 1989 Dakota convertible.

It is on now.

I was put on the Power steering pump. The bolt hole on the timing chain cover for the pump was dirt. I clean it out with a eye glass screw driver with little pressure. I poked a hole thru something by accident, all my antifreeze came out in a stream.

The question is what is behind the timing chain cover... I hope a Freeze plug. I am just starting to remove my radiator to remove water pump and timing chain cover to see what it is I poked?​

Any suggestions? or Ideas?

·
Gen2 help hotline
5,611 Posts
your timing cover is also a coolant passage. any of the top holes of the timing cover go directly into the block coolant passage. take a picture of what hole cuz if its anything on the head it shouldn't be filled with dirt if was used by a pump bracket. there are no core plugs that will pop out easy up front (one on each head but its about 3/4 in size no where near either LA or magnum brackets)

take a pic of the face and point to the hole in question.

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is picture. It is the Top one. Hynes manual shows or looks like a freeze plug is behind the timing chain cover. This weekend I will be getting into it.

Removing the fan cover, water pump, and the timing cover.

Attachments

·
Gen2 help hotline
5,611 Posts
well that I know of there is no "plug" behind in... when u cleaned the bore u probably messed up the gasket

replace the timing cover gasket and use thread sealant on all the hardware (if there is passageway to a water jacket then the sealant dam's the coolant from wicking thru threads

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used the red gasket sealer. I looked in with a mirror. I put gasket sealer on a stick then put in dabs in at a time and then on the threads. If that does not work. I will take the bolt out and try to remove the gasket sealer and use JB WELD. I hope this works.

Thank you. Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts